Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on 04 Disco purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 04 Disco purchase

Hello all,

I am contemplating purchasing an 04 Discovery SE, black on aplaca beige. This particular one has 40,500 miles on it, is still under factory warranty through Nov. 08 and includes an extended warranty through Nov. 2010.

The askin price $20K and I have gotten them down to $18K. Is this fair? I can find Discoverys for $12K but they have upwards of 100K miles on them and have not extended warranty. I think they are more of a risk and are not as clean as this one, is the $5-$7K extra worth the piece of mind that I am getting a clean, less abused Discovery?

Thanks for any advice.... I drove my dads Disco to Prom in '99 and have been hooked ever since.... looking forward to finally getting my own!

Old 10-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Advice on 04 Disco purchase

Seems a little high. I've seen '06 LR3's go for that much. What kind of service records does it have?

Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Drifting

One owner, has 4-5 service records at Land Rover Dealer.

The price is the same as most others that I can find in Ohio area. I am not a mechanically inclined individual so the warranty is key, this is also the only one that I have found to still be under factory warranty.

And its got to be a discovery... dont like the LR3 as much.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well the '04 is considered the best year. The warranty won't cover everything that might go wrong. You should have the coolant changed (especially if there is no record of it) every 3 years/45K miles. You might just save yourself from a pricey head gasket job in the future. I thought the factory warranty only applies to the original owner. Maybe it varies by state(?) You MUST use premium gas in these trucks too. Give it the best and you'll have a great running truck. You will also need to get the front driveshaft rebuilt with greaseable zerks on the double cardon joint at the t-case.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Rock Crawling

I have seen comparable 04's going anywhere from low 12's to high 16's. I just saw an 06 LR3 for 18. If you buy that from the dealer make sure it's what you want because the market is soft on them these days.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Are these comparable 04's certified?? if so what part of the country are then in? where do you see them? I have been looking for one for a year and it seems that for a certified (and factory warranty) 04 this is about the right spot. I have seen 04's with that mileage for the price range you mentioned but not certified, and if a dealer fails to certify a car then that is a huge red flag.

This dealership (which is a Land Rover dealership) has moved them at this price, these things are getting sold - there are alot of people out there like those on this blog that love these cars andin order to get acertified one they will need to be purchased soonIt was even test drove right when I arrived at the dealer.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Greenville SC LR has an 04 with 26k and the asking $ is 17,900, look around they are out there

Old 10-15-2008, 04:28 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not been looking lately but that does seem high for the current market. Premium only gas guzzlers arent exactly in demand right now.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you're going through the LR dealer than that's about right for their price. There was a G4 the local dealer was selling for around $20K. You could probably get an '04 from a private seller for less than $10K, and keep the rest (that would be spent at the dealer) for repair money. You might actually come out ahead, even if you had to do head gaskets and fix the 3 amigos, which may not be covered by the warranty cause it's a wear and tear item. You can also try to find local indy repair shops so you don't have to go to the dealer for everything. You'll always pay the highest prices at the stealership.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Rock Crawling

If you are shopping in that price range and looking for a warranty buy an LR3 instead. Even if you have to pay an extra couple of grand the difference is worth it. 18K for a Disco II is way too much, low mileage/warranty or not.

Cheers,

Pete

Quick Reply: Advice on 04 Disco purchase