Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed: D2 is dead, long live the D2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 03:03 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed: D2 is dead, long live the D2?

I love my disco 2... I think I just blew the head gasket... and it's clear to me what comes next.

Here's the full story:

I was a Toyota guy. Specifically 80's era 4-runners, pickups... but after the second one was stolen I had a little cash lying around from the insurance pay-out, not enough to buy an LC, but LRs in good conditions were cheap. I grew up loving the Discovery although i had always heard that "it's a terrible car" (for the record, nothing has happened to change my mind about that...but now I have an illogical love for the thing), but I decided to get onboard... worst case scenario; I get a few thousand miles out of it and I get to learn about modern all wheel drive systems.

I bought my ratty D2 a few years ago for a couple grand with a little more than 100k miles on it. It's my family car/project car. It has had some problems, but I just got most everything sorted on the car. No Amigos... recently replaced the suspension (thanks to all who gave me advice on that end) and steering linkages. No engine lights... no problems with the secondary air, upgraded drive shaft, fresh fluids, brand new BFG K02s, etc. The paint isn't great on it, so there's a part of me that will seriously consider buying another D2 in better condition even if i have to sort it again. I still have a few tests to run before I declare it dead, but I'm already thinking about what the next move is going to be. As i see it there are a couple options so I'm looking for as much input as i can get from you kind folks. Here's what I'm thinking:

A) non-op the thing (I have a 1 year old, so this is going to be a very long term project for me) and either pin the sleeves myself or purchase the Atlantic British rebuilt engine for an astounding $6k (Did i mention I love this thing)

B) donate to a local charity and buy another old Disco 2 in better shape (and wait for the same problem to happen again)

C) or upgrade to an LR4.

D) LS swap it... (I live in California and have never done anything like this, so this seems like the most far-fetched (read: hair-brained) idea i could come up with)... I've read about people using the stock injectors and ecu to run LS motors, so this seems potentially kind of awesome... (also: please save your nay-saying... I eat the doubts of others for breakfast)

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the LR4 is a comparable replacement for the D2? Is there anyone who's owned both cars that loves their LR4 as much as their D2? more? less? how much less?

My wife doesn't think the LR4 looks as good as the D2, but it has grown on me enough to seriously consider the purchase.

I feel like I got the full value out of my D2... so in one sense I won't be too bummed to see it go... and in another sense, I still smile ear to ear every time i get into it, even though it's now mostly useful for cook-outs or holding paper to the ground.

Give it to me straight. What say you?

Old 11-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

A) is possible also look at D&D fabrication for some motor options

B) If it gets you ahead on the exterior and interior, buying another is not a bad option. Especially if you strip all the good bits off the old one and stick them on the shelf or straight on it.

C) is a meh choice for me. I would consider a LR3 with it's much more durable drivetrain over the LR4

D) I would check the local laws carefully before starting that living in Cali

Old 11-24-2018, 05:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

How about just replacing the head gaskets?

Old 11-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I was operating on the theory of the engine being completely cooked that these are his options. If it wasn't completely cooked he would be doing gaskets and moving on

Old 11-24-2018, 08:19 PM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

It's not clear to me how one jumps from "I think I blew a head gasket" to "I need to pin the sleeves." You don't say what year/engine you have in yours, so you might only be facing a relatively straightforward head gasket replacement.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Where in CA are you? Some county's don't require smog crap which means you can just swap in any ol' engine and carry one with your life. If you live in more of a populated area, you are going to have to be prepared to bend over and.. Gotta deal with BAR smog / referee and get the car essentially certified to have the smog test done based on what engine you have and not what the chassis / body is. Its a huge pain in the ***, swap has to be completely stock and no mods but it can be done!

Old 11-25-2018, 02:46 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about just replacing the gasket. In any case, anyway I see it, bringing it back into my garage means it will be there for a while (not to mention that I still probably won't stop with just the gasket replacement, I will pin those cylinders, and probably do the bearings as well), which is why options B, C, D. I guess I'm fishing for a reason to get rid of it. There are quite a few (arguably more fun) projects I want to get into, so there's that too.

Army, I've never heard that LR3 drivetrains were more robust, I thought the only difference was that the LR4 engine was the same jag motor punched to 4.8L. Am i wrong?

Saturnine: I'm in LA... my assumption is that running the motor off of the stock ECU means you can potentially retain all of the emissions equipment... The car wouldn't know that it has a different motor in it. I've read about it being done... but there's admittedly not very much info... it's not my favorite plan. I would prefer to do a swap into something more fun. You also don't get a huge power gain since you retain the D2s injectors and stock mapping. I think you end up with 275 HP. I've done a good amount of research on the project, but I honestly can't imagine having the time to get it sorted.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

A lot of mixed messages in these posts of yours...and most of what you tell us is based on your emotional attachment/connection to the rover.

You say you love it, twice...but then you mention not being bummed...if it went on down the road. Love doesn't normally work like that. That would be like saying...l love my wife of forty years, but now that she has gray hair...l'd be okay with her moving on down the road...and getting a new twenty year old to replace her. Again, love doesn't work like that. Love is the strongest emotion known to man, one that can make you crazy and keep you sane all at the same time, one that can get you through the rough times, let alone the good times. So, with that being said...if you really want to make this relationship work with your Dll...you'd better totally understand how love works. Because, loving a rover and a woman have a lot in common.

We'd do much better answering the technical portion of your question, if we knew the year, mileage and condition of your rover.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 260 Likes on 173 Posts

First and foremost, you live in Kalifornistan. Sorry to hear that. We escaped and are glad to live in free America again.

Without getting into diatribes on love and vehicles and irrational behavior, I’ll just answer the options provided:

A). If you non-op it I see one of 2 things happening: It will just sit and collect dust and your 1 year old will be old enough to drive before you touch it again. Or, it sits for long enough for you to get fed up with trying to fix it, and you dump the cash and quickly (and probably incorrectly) install a “new” engine. In my opinion, this is a bad option.

B) Donation is never a bad thing per se, but you know darn well no charity is going to be able to get it running or do anything to make any money on it. The only folks generally owning Discos these days are folks that want the image and have the money to pay a shop to keep it up, or folks like those on this forum willing to keep them up. Again, this is a bad option in my opinion. Your heart is in the right place, but I think you’d be better off selling it for a few hundred bucks and searching for a replacement. That said, a replacement in better shape is always a good option. I’m on my second and got a good one this time. My experience has been WAY better this time despite doing the same amount of work on it as the first one.

C) I don’t like LR3/4s (despite having an L320). They are plenty nice, but if I needed the space, I’d just get an L322 if I wanted a newer machine.

D) LS Swap. Have fun with the referee and the wiring nonsense and all that. If you want to LS swap something, I’d go to a D1 that doesn’t have as much electronic crap. Personally, I’d look to import a diesel one before I went that route.

On the whole, you are at the same place I was when I got a phantom code on first one and spent months and $$$ trying to resolve. I still loved it, but it pissed me off enough I threatened to sell it. Now that I got a “good” one and am significantly more savvy, it has gone ridiculously smoother. To put a finer point on that statement, I’d rather fix something that was bone stock, than resolve issues that others tried to fix in a non-OEM, or rushed fashion.

My first Disco had the engine swapped and a few other things done to resolve some of the very well known issues with the Disco platform. Turns out, they didn’t do quite as good a job as I would have liked and it was functional, but not as clean. Why was the engine swapped? Same thing as you: head gaskets. But why did it need head gaskets? It got hot. If it never gets hot, then you won’t have issues. So run an external temp gauge. Bottom line, my current one was dealer maintained until 92k miles. I’m now at 157k (purchased with. 142k) and although I’ve done a slew of work to address all the flaws and known issues, it’s been quite reliable. Repairs and upgrades have been WAY easier based on everything being where it was supposed to be and set up like the RAVE stated.

So in my opinion, I’d find a Kalifornistan based machine with zero rust, hasn’t been molested, but has a few issues, and someone is sick of it and sweep in to the rescue. At least that’s what I’d do. I’m lucky as mine is just about done a year after I got it and now I just fix it as I go...

Last edited by longtallsally; 11-25-2018 at 09:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
undeadmouse (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Sell the D2 junk and get an LR3/4.

Quick Reply: Advice needed: D2 is dead, long live the D2?