Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed: D2 is dead, long live the D2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 04:35 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you probably have the best username on this forum right now... test driving an LR4 this week. I'll report back.

Last edited by undeadmouse; 11-26-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:49 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@longtallsally

Thanks for the input... it may seem like I just asked a question with a thousand right answers but it helps me think when I get different points of view. Genuinely thankful!

Also: Heeeyyy, let's go easy on the "Kalifornistan"...I'm a native! I grew up with "smog days" when everyone else has "snow days" so I can't say I mind the emissions rules... even though they make it hard to be an enthusiast in this place sometimes. I'm just happy to live in a place where the weather's always nice, and the mountains and the sea are equidistance from my house... I'm not bragging...or am I?

Old 11-27-2018, 01:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

OK, is “The People’s Republik of Kalifornistan” better? . I spent 20 years there and it made my career and I can EASILY say that my best experiences were there. However, the current state of the State is pretty poor- I just didn’t want my kids to grow up thinking that some of the “normal” behavior there now is acceptable. I’ve run the Rubicon a number of times, ridden or driven all the tracks there, spent countless miles in the Mohave and Death Valley. I’ve had to use a winch to extract myself in the snow of the Sierra, and then watched the sunset on the beach, in the same day. So yes, I know it well. That’s why I talk trash about it- a wonderful place has been ruined.

But staying on task, the emissions stuff you mention actually is part of why I have determined when buying an older vehicle, more stock is better. The only hard part about CA in terms of modifying is emissions. I’m kinda past caring about loud exhausts and intakes and all that crap. There are plenty of machines that go plenty fast out of the box (plus all my years riding at the fun tracks in CA quenched my thirst for speed), and the Disco will never be even a brisk machine, so I just accept it for what it is- meaning keeping it stock to emissions standards is just fine with me.

I did the same thing when I was into BMW E30s. My first one was a bit “messed with” and kind of a pain. By the time I got my second, it was ridiculously stock and thus really easy to work on. It kinda makes the whole experience more fun to me...

Old 11-28-2018, 01:43 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 99 d2 and my dad has a 2010 LR4. I would say it depends on what you are looking for. If you want something to happen when you give it some gas then the lr4 would be your better option, it gets better gas mileage and and is a much much better family car, if thats what you want out of it. The off road and specialty programs on the lr4 are nice as well. However the lr4 has 0 aftermarket if thats something your interested in. On the other had your driving an Icon that will be noticed in the D2. If you love the D2 as much as you say you do and intend on using it as more of a a rec vehicle for family outings then thats your option. If you can afford to keep a D2 on the road you will have a car that you can enjoy for a while. A middle ground between these two id say would be an LR3. It drives almost exactly like the 4 but it feels like it has slightly less hp, which it does. However the LR3 is in a position to be a more economical family car if thats what you want, or a rugged machine that can get you anywhere, or a little of both. Im not even an adult yet but thats just my opinion.