Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aerodynamics (no I'm not kidding)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aerodynamics (no I'm not kidding)

All of us that either have or are about to put a lift kit on seem to want our trucks front and back to be level. My question is wouldn't it be a little less of a box on wheels if the rear was a little higher than the front? if the front is down slightly the air hits at more of an angle and creates less drag. I realize that even is better for wheeling and tire clearance but if driven for more than play wouldn't it be a benefit?

Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont think it would have the effect you are thinking it would, you would also then expose the roof to the wind and mess with the back draft at the back of the truck.

They did a test on Mythbusters, 2 identical pickup trucks, one with the tailgate up, one with the tailgate down.
Drive until you run out of gas.
Tailgate up went farther.
Turns out the tailgate up creates a "bubble" in the pickup bed which reduces aerodynamic drag.
Might be something similar with the Disco?

Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The big semi trucks have those bubbles and now even the trailer skirts. The fleet managers look for things that can add even a fraction of an mpg. But they are not "tilted."

Old 11-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Spike I see your point and Savannah yours as well. Thanks for the reply. Well I guess I wont be leaving the 20" on the rear and putting 16" on the front with a wing on the back. You both just destroyed the the reason I bought this bi*ch!

Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

The bumble bee is aerodynamically challenged for flight. Fortunately, he does not know this, and as such lives a fully and happy life.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Benefits aside I like how the front end of our trucks is lower than the back. Kinda gives our trucks a slick look - especially if you have the dual sunroofs and thicker roof rails. BUT I have a theory that since the front end is lower, visibility for the occupants is greatly increased whereas larger pickup trucks have a large higher front end which decreases front end visibility and makes it harder to park.

I use to work as a valet for a hotel and I noted how difficult it was to see over the hood on these newer pickup trucks and even on some cars like the infiniti fx50. So the combination of command seating, large windshield and lower front end make for improved visibility on our Discoveries! I would just leave it the way it is.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

See Jaguar Land Rover Achieves Goal of Sophisticated Engineering with Exa PowerFLOW 4.1 for some flow studies.

Attached Thumbnails Aerodynamics (no I'm not  kidding)-gi_jaguarexahighres15cropped_png.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-25-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Benefits aside I like how the front end of our trucks is lower than the back. Kinda gives our trucks a slick look - especially if you have the dual sunroofs and thicker roof rails. BUT I have a theory that since the front end is lower, visibility for the occupants is greatly increased whereas larger pickup trucks have a large higher front end which decreases front end visibility and makes it harder to park.

I use to work as a valet for a hotel and I noted how difficult it was to see over the hood on these newer pickup trucks and even on some cars like the infiniti fx50. So the combination of command seating, large windshield and lower front end make for improved visibility on our Discoveries! I would just leave it the way it is.
All Land Rovers are designed with off roading in mind, to be a good off road truck visibility is a must.
All four corners are visible from the drivers seat, the front and back of the truck are flat and not curved so that if you are know where the left front corner is you also know where the middle is and the right corner.
Flat side panels also help so that you know exactly how wide your truck is.
Flush door handle's also help, they did away with those on the later years.
Foldable mirrors, spare tire that can be reached even if the truck is buried in mud or water...it all add's up to what the truck was built for, off road use.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

http://article.wn.com/view/2011/10/1..._Americas_1_S/

a short video - perhaps one place to start would be a large under belly skid plate (Mercedes have them to cut air flow at Autobahn speeds, called a turtle shell).

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-25-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Exa PowerFLOW Reduces Aerodynamic Drag by 30% on America's #1 Solar Car - Worldnews.com

a short video - perhaps one place to start would be a large under belly skid plate (Mercedes have them to cut air flow at Autobahn speeds, called a turtle shell).
Good point Buzz.

Removing the airdam on the bottom of the OEM bumper decreases MPG too, so does a low profile winch bumper.

Quick Reply: Aerodynamics (no I'm not kidding)