Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default After Market Oil Pressure Gauge

Has anyone installed a oil gauge to their truck, did you use one of the adapter plates that install between the oil filter and the block to give you a port to hook to and if you did, where did you find that adapter?
Thanks

Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Has anyone installed a oil gauge to their truck, did you use one of the adapter plates that install between the oil filter and the block to give you a port to hook to and if you did, where did you find that adapter?
Thanks
x2

This is pretty high on my 'to-do' list, but I haven't had either the opportunity or the parts to do it yet.

I know Glo-Shift sells the sandwich adapters, but none that they list as fitting our trucks. I did go as far as trying to find other vehicles that would share the same oil filter as I believe they would use the same adapter.

IIRC, some of the late 1990's era Ford Explorers also take a K&N HP-3001 size oil filter, so knowing that might make finding one of the sandwich adapters a little easier...

Old 07-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I used the the threaded plug nut on the side of the front cover. I have a 03 so I do not have a oil cooler, only a trans cooler. So I tapped that large 19mm plug to the same threading as the oil pressure sending unit. Its NTP pipe thread size. Screw it right in with a copper crush washer. No leaks and works great. Here is the writeup with pictures. My addition to the post start about the 3rd post down and 2nd page shows the install on the A pillar.
Installing an Oil Pressuge Gauge on a 2003 Disco II

Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone ever actually looked into "bumping up" the oil pressure on these trucks since it sucks so badly at idle? I know it's extremely easy to do on the Buick V6 block.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is right in the "write up" section.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...isco-ii-33978/

Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Anyone ever actually looked into "bumping up" the oil pressure on these trucks since it sucks so badly at idle? I know it's extremely easy to do on the Buick V6 block.
Why would you need to bump up the pressure, especially at idle?

You should be making 10 PSI per 1000 RPMs hot. If you are significantly less, your bearings or pump are shot and you can use thicker oil as a short term measure. If you are making significantly more, you need to figure out why, as you'll not be providing proper volume to cool and lubricate the motor. This is the biggest problem with "bumping up" oil pressures. You start getting too much pressure and your volume drops when it hits the OPRV too early in the RPM range.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Administrator

I want to thank those who replied, I did get a reply on the LRRF with what I was looking for along with a great selecton of gauges.

Attached Thumbnails After Market Oil Pressure Gauge-oilfilteradapterdia.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Which set up are you going to go with Mike?
Have you found a good place for the gauge?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I retapped the oil sender port to 1/4 pipe then the adapted down to a 1/8 compression fitting.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Spike555
Which set up are you going to go with Mike?
Have you found a good place for the gauge?
I am going with the sandwich adapter plate shown above along with 2 of their gauges, iol pressure and oil temp gauge. I will either use the grey "A" piller mount or a friend of mine found a dual mount assembly thru Rover that mounts in the coin tray on the dash that was sold over seas.

Quick Reply: After Market Oil Pressure Gauge