Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket gauges

So Im looking to install a series of gauges " oil pressure, water temp & transmission temp ) underneath my A/C controller ( in the area where the HI/LO shifter is ). My questions are: the gauges can be hooked up either electrically / sending units etc... or mechanically / old school tubing, fittings etc.. What gauges would benefit the better connection ( eletrically / mechanically ) and what area on the transmission would give me a good temp reading when I hook up the temp gauge.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

what are you installing these for? what are you driving? i use a scanguage thru the ODB port and that has everything i could think of.... it doesnt ahve oil pressure but unless you have a 4.6 i wouldnt worry about that.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Three Wheeling

hilltop
I guess my main reason for installing them is to have a peace of mind. Im just a year old in owning a Land Rover and with all the horror stories of people smoking engines cause the low oil pressure light didnt come on till 4 or 6 psi and by that time they had enough time to kill the engine it was toast, I dont want to be that guy. The reason for the water temp gauge is that manual P.O.S that is in the dash does absolutely nothing from me. I want to know when my engine is running hot whether it be in Houston traffic or West Texas on a Mule deer hunt climbing from mountain. I want to be able to see if anything is happening. And finally, with these being AWD and cranking out 3000 RPM @ 75 MPH I would like to know my tranny isn't running hot. It all boils down to a piece of mind. I have build several hotrods in my 36yrs and never not having enough information is not a bad thing. I like to monitor everything I can, I may even through in a VOLTS gauge with the other 3. By the way I have a 2002 LR Disco II - 107K

Old 08-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Ditto on the ScanGaugeII. It is really cool. Well worth the $120 to $145 you can get them for on eBay. You can even mount it right behind your steering wheel on the black shroud with Velco. Set it to dark green back-light so it matches with your instrument cluster at night. I normally keep my 4 guages set to RPM, Voltage, Water temp, and Air intake temp. But there are many more you can choose from RPM, MPH, MAP, IAC and instant MPGs which is a little depressing There are many more I would have to look up.
Also its great to read all your SES codes too. Like the 0455 gross evap leak that comes on about once a month. I just reset and and keep rolling
I have a 2003 with the oil VIN Death Range. I'm sitting here looking over the install for my digital green oil presure guage. I thought fuel pressure might me another good presure to monitor and it may be an easy install with the fuel railing having the scrader valve on the end. Although I may have to take the top manifold off to get to that.
Now I am figuring out were to put 1 or 2 2 1\16" gauges so they look nice and custom. The A pillar is an idea, but also to the left of the instrument cluster may work too. for a vertical stack.

Here is my digital oil presure gauge on eBay
Cyberdyne A010E160Y Oil Pressure Gauge Emerald Green

Old 08-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Three Wheeling

bosshogt,
so do you have the scangauge II or do you have individual gauges your wanting to install.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the ScanGuageII installed currently. Its great!
Also I have a oil presure gauge that is electronic(digtial). It has a electronic sending unit. Only one electric wire connects it to the front cover since it uses the theaded part as a ground(negative). I will start installing it Monday. It seems simple but I need to find out the best location on my dash, and also to find the dimming wire for the interior instrument cluster lights, the positive power wire for on/off when the engine is turned off.
Here is a great step-by-step write up for the oil pressure gauge.

http://www.landroverclubvi.com/oil-gauge.html

Old 08-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoveryHouston
hilltop
I guess my main reason for installing them is to have a peace of mind. Im just a year old in owning a Land Rover and with all the horror stories of people smoking engines cause the low oil pressure light didnt come on till 4 or 6 psi and by that time they had enough time to kill the engine it was toast, I dont want to be that guy. The reason for the water temp gauge is that manual P.O.S that is in the dash does absolutely nothing from me. I want to know when my engine is running hot whether it be in Houston traffic or West Texas on a Mule deer hunt climbing from mountain. I want to be able to see if anything is happening. And finally, with these being AWD and cranking out 3000 RPM @ 75 MPH I would like to know my tranny isn't running hot. It all boils down to a piece of mind. I have build several hotrods in my 36yrs and never not having enough information is not a bad thing. I like to monitor everything I can, I may even through in a VOLTS gauge with the other 3. By the way I have a 2002 LR Disco II - 107K
the trannys on these things are one of the best parts. if serviced reguarly you shouldnt have to worry about that. as for the volts and water temp thats in the Scanguage. and without a 4.6 your oil pressure will be fine. if your super cautions then go ahead with all that work i just think its a bit much. i would use the money to install a CDL if your vin falls in the first half of '02 if not then i would save up for a TC. That is just my opinion.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Drifting

I have a Faultmate from blackbox-solutions.com for my Disco. I'm a long way from a dealer, and I prefer to do my own work, so it has worked out well for me.

Wonder if it would be possible to get the same info from it into a convenient in-dash display?

-Aaron

Old 08-23-2010, 01:55 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with the OP and prefer to actually have gauges to let me know what's going on. A digital readout like the Scangauge is ok but I find it distracting when I'm driving. I prefer to just see a needle pointing rather than having to read a number. It's been proven that drivers/pilots learn where the needle on a gauge should point during normal operation and can tell if the needle moves from that point without having to focus on the gauge.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Three Wheeling

hilltopp, excuse me for not knowing but what is the CDL your referring to along with mentioning TC? like I said, Im still learning about these LR's.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket gauges