Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a SWI-JACK that I bought but didn't need it since my head unit already had the wiring for steering wheel controls, if anyone here is interested you can have it for $10 + shipping.

Last edited by jbarr89; 03-08-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I found the PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface, on eBay. I found the harness for 9.00 and the controller box for 8.00. I lucked out on this one, 17.00 instead of 89.00. I purchased the dash fascia off eBay for 40.00, and went ahead and found the Pioneer ADT-VA133 2-din install kit at Staples for 29.00 with online coupon. I used a hack saw blade to cut the center divider off the dash plate and the pioneer install cage fits right in the opening. Once i get the right angle of the cage into the fascia, i will attach it and make sure it is secure enough to hold the head unit. Then to cut out the lower section of the fascia, to move the ac controls down the required amount. Pics are of progress on fascia.
Got all my harnesses in and will post pics of finished harness ready for plug in.
Aftermarket Stereo-img_3528.jpg

Aftermarket Stereo-img_3529.jpg

Aftermarket Stereo-img_3531.jpg

Aftermarket Stereo-img_3532.jpg

Aftermarket Stereo-img_3534.jpg

Aftermarket Stereo-img_3536.jpg

Old 03-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Wiring needed for aftermarket stereo

In the picture, there i the Pac SWI-RC, metra 70-1786, Pioneer harness, and emergency brake bypass. This is before pic, Now to remove unneeded wires, shorten the excess and solder to create a working harness. This is not new to me, i did the same type of harness to get the head unit into my 2007 Silverado 2500.

Aftermarket Stereo-img_3537.jpg

Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
I found the PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface, on eBay. I found the harness for 9.00 and the controller box for 8.00. I lucked out on this one, 17.00 instead of 89.00. I purchased the dash fascia off eBay for 40.00, and went ahead and found the Pioneer ADT-VA133 2-din install kit at Staples for 29.00 with online coupon. I used a hack saw blade to cut the center divider off the dash plate and the pioneer install cage fits right in the opening. Once i get the right angle of the cage into the fascia, i will attach it and make sure it is secure enough to hold the head unit. Then to cut out the lower section of the fascia, to move the ac controls down the required amount. Pics are of progress on fascia.
Got all my harnesses in and will post pics of finished harness ready for plug in.
Attachment 25025

Attachment 25026

Attachment 25027

Attachment 25028

Attachment 25029

Attachment 25030

That looks familiar !
One word of warning, it's a real tight fit back there getting the Nex and the dash all back in place. Here's my install from late last year. I also used the same steering wheels control kit, it works great.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Pioneer NEX head units in the Disco 2

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
That looks familiar !
One word of warning, it's a real tight fit back there getting the Nex and the dash all back in place. Here's my install from late last year. I also used the same steering wheels control kit, it works great.
I really like your setup. I searched several forums on this install, but somehow missed yours until a day or two ago. When i searched NEX, yours came up. I hope mine turns out as good as yours. I have the NEX4000, that I installed in my 2500 Silverado, last year and just got my Disco. The first thing I wanted to do was upgrade the Sound System, especially for Bluetooth, since the new law came into effect here in Tex. I too have 2 small children and have the headrest monitors, for them. Since my Disco will be my main transportation, I am moving the whole system to it. I pretty much know the NEX head units inside and out. If you have not already done so, you might check out AVIC411 forum. (great info on the NEX units) I have 256gb SDCARD (formatted to fat32) full of ripped DVDs, a Samsung 256gb solid state drive full of music hooked up to the usb2 slot, SiriusXM, and USB1 reserved for Iphone6, Digital TV Tuner hooked up to A/V input, and the AVIC U-260 Nav add-on. I have the hdmi hooked up for AppRadio, or Android mini-pc. If you want to mirror the Apple TV, you can get the hdmi to RCA adapter, and hook up to the A/V input and mirror that way.

Last edited by Joemamma1954; 03-23-2015 at 03:18 AM. Reason: errors
Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Heh Joemamma, So you managed to get a 256gb card to read? My attempts ended in abject failure. I was using a PNY 256GB SD (
Amazon.com: PNY Elite Performance 256GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Up to 90MB/sec Flash Card - P-SDX256U1H-GE: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: PNY Elite Performance 256GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Up to 90MB/sec Flash Card - P-SDX256U1H-GE: Computers & Accessories
) I couldn't get the nex8000 to read from it. Maybe a format issue? I tried Fat32 but formatted the card using my Mac.

I'm waiting for a couple of days free (fat chance with two little kids!) to pull my setup out to rerout my second HDMI cable. Currently it's accessing the appleTV under the seat. I have a HDMI to rca adapter for rear seat mirroring but the problem with that setup is that currently plugging in my iphone into USB1 disables my ability to output video from the SDcard to the rear (or any other source).

With this limitation, the only value that i'll get from the underseat appletv is to use it in conjunction with airplay to stream video from the pbskids app from the iphone via the airport express to Appletv.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Heh Joemamma, So you managed to get a 256gb card to read? My attempts ended in abject failure. I was using a PNY 256GB SD (Amazon.com: PNY Elite Performance 256GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Up to 90MB/sec Flash Card - P-SDX256U1H-GE: Computers & Accessories) I couldn't get the nex8000 to read from it. Maybe a format issue? I tried Fat32 but formatted the card using my Mac.

I'm waiting for a couple of days free (fat chance with two little kids!) to pull my setup out to rerout my second HDMI cable. Currently it's accessing the appleTV under the seat. I have a HDMI to rca adapter for rear seat mirroring but the problem with that setup is that currently plugging in my iPhone into USB1 disables my ability to output video from the SDcard to the rear (or any other source).

With this limitation, the only value that i'll get from the underseat appletv is to use it in conjunction with airplay to stream video from the pbskids app from the iphone via the airport express to Appletv.
I can't remember the brand, but i also use a macbook pro and mac-mini, I erased the new sdcard and formatted to fat32, using disc utility. It has been working flawlessly ever since. I also have my iPhone in usb1, but the rear is set for sdcard, not mirror. I personally do not use CarPlay at the time being, since there are no video apps, and prefer the BT for phone calls.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hmmm sounds like there's a difference in firmware between the 4000 and 8000 where you lose functionality as you move up the range.
I went through several frustrating efforts to get my 256gb SD formatted to fat32 work. In the end I reformatted it to ExFat and put it in my Nikon, copied the same movies over to a smaller 32gb sd card, which of course work as advertised.

With my setup, the option to display video from the sd card to the rear, becomes unavailable as soon as I connect the iPhone into usb1. What I haven't checked is whether plugging in the phone after video is already playing from the SD card to the rear only, interrupts the playback.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Hmmm sounds like there's a difference in firmware between the 4000 and 8000 where you lose functionality as you move up the range.
I went through several frustrating efforts to get my 256gb SD formatted to fat32 work. In the end I reformatted it to ExFat and put it in my Nikon, copied the same movies over to a smaller 32gb sd card, which of course work as advertised.

With my setup, the option to display video from the sd card to the rear, becomes unavailable as soon as I connect the iPhone into usb1. What I haven't checked is whether plugging in the phone after video is already playing from the SD card to the rear only, interrupts the playback.
I clicked the link you provided for the PNY SDCARD and lo and behold, that is the exact same one i am using. Both our NEXs use the same firmware, 1.08, but yours has Capacitive display and Navi. They both should work the same. The 4000 and the 7000 are identical with the exception of Navi on the 7000 and removable screen on the 4000. Is your unit saying incompatible device, or unplayable file, or does it stick on reading format? Also is your sdcard in the locked position (read-only) or unlocked (read/write)? Lastly, what type of file are your movies? I had to convert my protected movies, that were purchased on iTunes using a convertor that removed the protection. I am just trying to troubleshoot what could be happening.

Last edited by Joemamma1954; 03-25-2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 03-25-2015, 01:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Hmmm the plot thickens.
I can't remember the exact error, it was about 3 months ago, but I'm super inspired to try again given that you're using the same SD card. For the sake of simplicity, I only used media that I'd already verified to work using a 32gb card (also canibalized from my dslr )
I'll give it a try this weekend. My assumption was that it was a file system formatting issue from using Disk Utility.

The files are mp4's, I think I was getting an incompatible file system error but I'll go check it and report back. If an SSD drive in a USB enclosure connected to usb2 works, I might go that route if this weekends experiment draws a blank.

Last edited by Robert Booth; 03-25-2015 at 01:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo