Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 06:57 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

I believe the limitation is due to the Fat32 versus exFat formatting. I have a Kenwood unit that will not read flash drives larger than 64 gigs if it is formatted under Fat32.

Last edited by acg; 03-25-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

The official file system spec for SD is such that 32GB is the maximum size for a fat32 formatted card. Cards larger than 32gb are SDHC and formatted with ExFat.
In this case, if the two head units are running the same firmware and hardware, the same card should read on both, except it doesn't

I'll dig into this a little this weekend and report back.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Quick update on this. When CarPlay is active, rear video from any source other than DVD or usb2 is broken.
I brought a bunch of different drives into work today, and i'll play around with formatting at lunch

Last edited by Robert Booth; 01-22-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Here is what I have learned over the last year, in regards to the SDCARD issue with Pioneer head units. The SD and SDHC cards are formatted fat32. SDXC cards are formatted exfat. Exfat is a microsoft format, and in order for Pioneer to read the exfat, they would have to pay a fee to microsoft. The problem people have had, formatting the larger cards to fat32, have been corruption after several Writes and Rewrites. My experience with the sdcard, has been, at first just using the 32gb SDHC card officially supported by Pioneer. After several people on the forum, dedicated to Pioneer head units, had luck formatting larger cards with fat32 and filling with either music, photos or mp4 videos and NOT adding or deleting anything. So I purchased a samsung pro 64gb SDXC card, formatted to fat32, filled with mp3 music and had no issues for 3 months. After that I purchased the PNY 256GB SDXC card, formatted to fat32, filled with mp4 movies and have been using this since early January. The Nex reads the card, sorts the movies alphabetically, continues the movie after shutoff of vehicle and restarting. The reason I did this, I have a Samsung SSD Pro 840 240 gb, which I have on usb2(leaving usb1 open for Iphone), and the USB2 is not supported on Dual-zone, except when mirroring. Dual-Zone will only support DVD, SDCARD, USB1 and AUX. Mirroring supports DVD,SDCARD, USB1, USB2, A/V input, AUX. Mirroring does not support HDMI. So my 20000?+ songs are on my SSD on USB2, my movies are on SDCARD. When I am alone, driving I have the choice of HDRadio, Sirius/XM, Pandora, my music on USB2 or any other music streaming app on my phone. When I have the two toddlers, it is only movies. Now if you have audio and video going to the rear monitors, the passengers can watch and listen to movies on rear zone as long as they have headphones, while the front zone is on whatever you want. Since I dont have headphones for my toddlers, I never ran audio to the rear. The other thing was, the first time i inserted the SDCARD, it took a while to read it, but once it read it, it never took long to read it an be ready to play. If you fill the large SDCARD with a large music library, it will take very long to read the first time. If I recall, I had to delete/erase everything on the new SDCARD, then format using fat32, which also erases everything. Some cards have hidden files that need to be deleted completely before formatting.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

We have a pretty similar setup, I also found some of your posts over on avic411, small world

I'll retry the 256gb pny card on Friday, I'm off to the OC for the day tomorrow. In the meantime I'll most likely have to be content with mirroring from the 500gb drive in usb2 and using dual zone with the 32gb sd card in the head unit. If I get time this weekend I'll get the appletv setup. I use it today to push streamed content from the phone to the rear via AirPlay, but I can also load it up with movies, the nice thing being that I don't have to strip the copy protection to play from my appletv.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have latest generation Apple TV, sure wish it had hard drive in it. I have a Western Digital Media Hub with a 1 tb hard drive and it actually is powered by 12 volt and it has hdmi and composite output, and have hooked it up before, just trying different things. Good Luck with your system, again it looks awesome, and mine is coming along, just not enough hours in the day sometime. Let me know if I can be of any help
Joe

Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Have you switched out speakers yet Joe? I didnt remember to check to see if you dynamatted your truck too?

Old 03-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Have you switched out speakers yet Joe? I didnt remember to check to see if you dynamatted your truck too?
I have not, still working on the dash install. Not a lot of time between job and the kiddos. Once I hear the system, I will evaluate and go from there.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 2004 Discovery SE that supposedly had the Nav system. The amp was installed under the drivers seat. The head unit had been replaced by an Eclipse AV3423 DVD unit that has a control unit (fits in the head unit place) and a main unit which was placed under the carpet on the front passenger’s side. There was also a TV receiver wired in with antennae attached to the RR window where the AM/FM factory antenna is. After many hours of gently removing the aftermarket equipment and fearing the worst, I found only one cut signal wire under the steering column for the steering wheel control. I decided to replace the existing head unit with a Jensen VX7010 (this is not an endorsement of this unit but rather a diary of the experience).

I was looking for a single DIN unit that has:

Bluetooth hands free (I live near Austin, TX which has a $500 fine for using a mobile device without hands free)

Backup camera. I wanted one that would help me hook up to a trailer

USB access. I travel long distances several times a year and like to put audio books on a flash drive.

Navigation was a plus.: I have a Garmin that I like but having it incorporated to the head unit is a plus. One more thing not to deal with.

so after a lot of research I ended up with the Jensen VX7010 . It is not the perfect solution but it accomplished most of my desires.

Installation notes:

I used the following installation items:

Harness Adapter: Metra 70-1786 *connects to the amp via the low level outputs from the head unit)

Dash Adaptor" Metra 94-9400

Spacer: 3/8" Metra 89-30-3900

Steering wheel control adapter: PAC SWI-RC

Diversified antenna adapter: Mobile Emotions: Land rover RANGE ROVER 04 ANTENNA-FFM-Landrover-RANGE-ROVER-2004 (comes with a Y cable and an adapter for the smaller connector and Yes. it does make a difference)

The following users liked this post:
Joemamma1954 (04-02-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Herb
I bought a 2004 Discovery SE that supposedly had the Nav system. The amp was installed under the drivers seat. The head unit had been replaced by an Eclipse AV3423 DVD unit that has a control unit (fits in the head unit place) and a main unit which was placed under the carpet on the front passenger’s side. There was also a TV receiver wired in with antennae attached to the RR window where the AM/FM factory antenna is. After many hours of gently removing the aftermarket equipment and fearing the worst, I found only one cut signal wire under the steering column for the steering wheel control. I decided to replace the existing head unit with a Jensen VX7010 (this is not an endorsement of this unit but rather a diary of the experience).

I was looking for a single DIN unit that has:

Bluetooth hands free (I live near Austin, TX which has a $500 fine for using a mobile device without hands free)

Backup camera. I wanted one that would help me hook up to a trailer

USB access. I travel long distances several times a year and like to put audio books on a flash drive.

Navigation was a plus.: I have a Garmin that I like but having it incorporated to the head unit is a plus. One more thing not to deal with.

so after a lot of research I ended up with the Jensen VX7010 . It is not the perfect solution but it accomplished most of my desires.

Installation notes:

I used the following installation items:

Harness Adapter: Metra 70-1786 *connects to the amp via the low level outputs from the head unit)

Dash Adaptor" Metra 94-9400

Spacer: 3/8" Metra 89-30-3900

Steering wheel control adapter: PAC SWI-RC

Diversified antenna adapter: Mobile Emotions: Land rover RANGE ROVER 04 ANTENNA-FFM-Landrover-RANGE-ROVER-2004 (comes with a Y cable and an adapter for the smaller connector and Yes. it does make a difference)
I was not aware of the diversified antenna, and just ordered one. Whereabouts in Austin. Lived here 60 years. Southwest area.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo