Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air bags in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bags in cold weather

Last summer i repalced my factory air bags with new ones from Arnott. they work great!!!! everything is good, until the weather got really cold..like in the 20's or teens . the the back of my rover goes down, this only happens in REALLY cold weather, ..any ideas????

Thanks

Ralph
www.ralphduke.com

99 disco II

Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 AM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cheap, horrible, wrong fix for leaking air bags

This is strange as the bags are new. Perhaps the cold creates just enough micro cracks in the skin, or in the seal from the rubber skin to the plastic mounts. I realize you just put in new bags. If the drop is only occasional I would not worry about it, as the only risk really is buring out the unit if leak is excessive. I am sure you are familiar with the soapy water thing to check for location of leak? You'd pretty much have to out there on the ground in freezing weather to catch it when it happens.

BUT...if it gets worse, I might have a solution...

I was about to change my bags or go with springs as I currently have worse leaks. No one is going to like this, but I am planning on injecting via air tube access some Lucas power steering stop leak into my air bags this weekend. They only occasionally leak, and it is isolated to the skin area that folds down. So, this weekend I am going to put in about 4 oz. each with a smidgeon of shoe goo or fixaflat goo mixed in. The idea is that each time the car sits down, the super thick non-splattering snot -like sealer stuff will gently coat the inner portion of the bags. Hopefully it will swell up/ heal the brittle skin. Kind of like the old trick where you spray down a tire's seal with antifreeze when mounting in negative 20+.

I just figured I'd throw this out. If it works, legions of DII owners with leaking bags will thank me for yet another $5 fix to a $1000 dealer fix / $300 DIY. If it doesn't, well, new bags or springs...perhaps in cold weather a bit of sealer with anti-freeze? The danger is that if ANY gets sucked up into the air pump it will FRY.

Anybody tried this?