Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air intake cover required

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:51 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air intake cover required

I have been trying to get some advice on how and/or where I can get a cover that sits over the air intake that resides inside the plenum chamber under the windscreen.

Have a look at my link to another Land Rover forum where I have had no luck with a response so far.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/dis...on-123345.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure where you are talking about. Inside the intake plenum there is not going to be an air intake cover that I can think of. Are you talking about the back of the firewall between the windshield and the engine compartment? If you have a picture of the area you are talking about that would help, I looked at your links but did not see a pic; it just kept sending me to another site or thread.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:14 PM
4wd Low

I do not have a picture. The link is to another land rover site in the UK where i have posted a similar request in much more detail.

It is very difficult to get a photo as i have to take the wipers and the plenum off to take a photo of underneath the plenum cover wher the air intake for the fan protrudes through the bulkhead into the chamber.

It was a notification from land rover that first illustrated to me that a cover was available. Everytime I am in the car wash water pours in through the fan due to this problem.......

Regards

Old 11-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I know what you are talking about, you are talking about water coming in through the HVAC system.
Open the hood and on either side of that cowling area there are drain holes.
If they are full of leaves or pine needles they will not drain and water will come into the cabin.
If you take your garden hose or a empty washer solvent bottle or whatever you can open the hood and pour the water there and see if it drains.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 AM
4wd Low

Spike,

Thanks for the feedback. The drains you refer to are clear. I have taken off the plenum cover and checked both. This problem only exists in the car wash or during massive downpours. Its not that the tray fills up with water and overflows into the HVAC intake. It is that water runs down the windscreen into the valley on the top of the plenum, i.e. the black tray the runs the base of the windscreen. When this cover cannot drain fast enough it overflows through the small square air intake holes of the plenum. When it overflows it drops into the top of the HVAC, through the fan and onto the passengers footwell carpet.

I read in the RAVE bulletins that there was a cover issued by Land Rover for the Disco 2 because of this problem. It had to be requested at the time. To date I have heard of nobody that has had this installed nor have I even see a picture of this cover.

I need to take the car through the car wash at least every two weeks to remove the salt during winter so this is quite important to avoid rust on the car. (To date the car is fairly rust free and I want it to stay that way as long as it can).

Is there and Disco 2 owner out there who has had this problem and obtained a cover from LR?

Thanks for all the assistance.

Last edited by Irish4x4; 11-15-2010 at 05:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I do not know what that part is even called.
If the dealer has no clue than I think your best bet it to make something yourself.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

The only thing I have seen regarding water ingress at the cowl area is supposed to be solved by two triangular rubber "spouts" which fit at each end of the cowl to help direct excess water out of the cowl. I was having a similar problem a few years ago, bought these rubber spouts and attached them, but continued to have the wet carpet problem (driver's side) after hard rains. Mine turned out to be a bad seal between the firewall and windshield wiper motor mounting plate. It was only apparent when I removed the cowl and saw a piece of windshield glass wedged between the firewall and plate (from a broken windshield long before I owned it).

The rubber pieces I purchased are #10 on the Microcat image on your other thread.

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 11-15-2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Other thread Microcat image