Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools Required 2004 Disco DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tools Required 2004 Disco DIY

I am going to attempt to perform the majority of the basic maintenance on my Disco. Can someone please list the tools that I will need to perform the majority of the work? For example, what size drive 12 point sockets should I buy. What sizes? Which torque wrench, etc. etc. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Mudding

13mm if I remember correctly

Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well for the valve cover bolts you will need a 1/4" drive 12pt 8mm socket.
The transmission takes a 8mm hex for the drain plug and a 10mm hex for the fill plug.
I think the oil drain plug is a 15mm.
The transfer case and differential plugs take a 1/2" drive rachet with a 3" extention, no socket, just stick the extention right into the square hole.
DII's use a plastic fill plug, it is hightly recommended that you buy the steel plug to replace the plastic one.
http://roverparts.com/Parts/FTC5208G.cfm
You can take youir drian plug and go to True Value and they can match you up with the same thread pitch and size plug to replace the plastic ones, no need to order them.
Make sure that you first remove the t-case fill plug before you drain it.
Back of t-case, 10 o'clock on the parking brake drum you will find the fill plug.
Put anti-sieze on the threads of the fill plugs for the diffs and t-case.
You dont need a tourqe wrench unless you are doing major engine work.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Mudding

maybe I was thinking of the brakes.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you'll find all the tools you need here,,,

Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Well if you don't already have it, I would highly recommend just buying a full socket set. This is the first vehicle I've owned where I've actually needed a 1/4" drive, so make sure you get a set that has a good selection of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". As Spike mentioned, you will need the 12point 1/4" drive 8mm socket for the valve cover bolts. You will also need a 12 point socket for the exhaust manifolds if you ever need to take those off. You will probably have to order the specific sizes in the 12 points, but the socket set you should be able to pick up at any hardware store or auto parts store. Just make sure whatever you buy has a lifetime warranty, and that the place you buy it is still gonna be there if you need something swapped. Also, invest in a good set of combination wrenches. Metric should take care of you if all you're gonna work on is the Rover, but it never hurts to have some SAE sizes laying around as well, as some of the metric and SAE sizes interchange.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I bought my 12pt 8mm at Sears for $3.

I have broken 2 3/8" drive rachets, drive the miles to Sears and 5 min later walk out with a new rachet.
Screwdrivers too. Snapped one in half trying to remove my viscous fan, replaced for free.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced a wrench and a socket I bought at Sears back in the 70's under warranty for free. Craftsman is good for the home mechanic.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Overlanding

I buy air rachet sockets whenever I can. Black steel and much thicker because I have a tendency of snapping sockets...... I guess I need to back off on the gym time....

Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Mudding

In my opinion, get a full set of Short Well impact sockets in Metric. This comes in handy if you ever need to drop the oil pan or something. For example, there is a brace that takes a fairly small metric, like a 9 or 10, and normal sockets are thin on those sizes. I cracked one getting it off, and was lucky to have a second one laying around.

Also, get a large head (#3?) Phillips bits for a ratchet, because things like the radiator use these large size heads and putting them on a ratchet makes it easier to get off.

Also, if it isn't obvious, degrease and pressure wash the engine before you dig in. (I think there was a recent thread about this, D. Mike has a beautiful engine under that hood) I'd just done some surgery on my Discovery and I couldn't believe the sediment that has accumulated since last summer.

Quick Reply: Tools Required 2004 Disco DIY