Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension Compressor Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension Compressor Question

Several months ago I posted a thread about switching back to air suspension, the previous owner of my car had the air springs replaced with coils about a year ago. I had to take care of several other maintanence issues, but am now ready to go back to the air springs. My question is, how can I tell if my air suspension compressor still works? The previous owners are friends of mine and made it clear that only the bags were bad, not the compressor. The mechanic who did the conversion did not turn off the air suspension though, so sometimes I still get the air suspension fault light, but I also hope this means that when I put in the air bags, that they should fill up as long as the compressor still works. Please let me know if there is any sort of test I can do to check that it still works. Thanks for any tips/advice

Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is no test that I know of.
And keep in mind that just because it worked a year ago does not mean that it will work now so you really need to find a way to test it.
If it is still "on" then loading down the back of the truck with the engine running and the doors closed might set it off as it will think that the bags are to low and it will try to fill them.
Load the back with bricks, close the door and then start the truck while your friend sticks his head by the compressor.
This might be a way to test it, I dont know.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Send me your tele number and I can walk you thru it.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Spike and Mike for yalls quick responses, I just got home from band camp I had my dad jump on the back of the car while started it and sure enough I could here the compressor start and air being sent through the cables that are currently connected to nothing. Mike, I dont have the bags yet, so I will probably give you a call when I order them from Arnott. We use my car to occasionaly to tow small trailers and I am realizing how useful the air springs would be. I am still in high school so I just wanted to make sure that the compressor was in operating condition so the project didn't become extremely expensive and outside my budget. Thanks again for your help

Old 08-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Gavster
I had my dad jump on the back of the car while started it and sure enough I could here the compressor start and air being sent through the cables that are currently connected to nothing.
WOW!!! That actually worked? Man, I was just throwing base ***** at the side of the barn hoping that at least one would hit...guess it did.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Hahaha yeah it worked, its always nice when something seemingly complicated turns out to be really simple to figure out. Thanks for the tip!