Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air suspension/sls problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air suspension/sls problems

My air suspension has gone bad which has caused my truck to sit lower than usual. My question is should I replace the air springs with Arnott air springs or should I perform a coil spring conversion. I am worried that if I replace them with air springs again I could have another component in the system go wrong. I am aware that the coil spring conversion is the most reliable and trouble free but I am concerned about ride quality. I would like to know if the ride changes when you go from air to coil. Another quick question, where is the fuse(s) located for the air suspension system, thanks.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Three Wheeling

My air ride went bad on my 2003 Disco 2, after tracing down the problem I found that the compressor unit was bad, bags and lines good. I opted to do a coil over conversion. The ride was great and I will never have a SLS problem again. The kit was $259.00 from Atlantic British and it took me about a hour and a half to change out. The relay for the system is under the hood next to the coolant reservoir in the black case. Did your system go into a hard lock? Does the compressor come on? Did you search for the leak? Most common problems are air bags that dry crack and leak. For cost and piece of mind I would convert to coil over, I saw no change in ride quality.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Winching

Thanks for your reply Wolf. I was able to check the sls today and found out that the air compressor and ride height sensors are functioning properly. I have a feeling that the leak is minor. I guess the next thing is to check and see if it is one of the air springs or an air line. I am glad to hear that your truck still rides good after installing the coil springs. I was concerned about making the swap and finding out that my truck now rides like a Jeep instead of a Land Rover .

Last edited by buick215; 04-08-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Delete the Air Bags and go w/ the AB coil kit.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you deside to delete it for coils I sure would love the spare parts to keep mine working.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:38 PM
5th Gear

Yes I agree, My discovery II is riding perfectly fine after replacing the airshocks with the springs... It's been 3 years since the replacement. Only problem I have now is not being able to get the SUV to pass emissions... =(

Old 04-11-2011, 12:43 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

FYI-

The AB D2 Coil Conversion Kit is currently on sale...

Land Rover Discovery II Rear Air Suspension & Coil Spring Kit - Land Rover Parts & Accessories At Atlantic British

Old 04-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Mudding

The coil springs are the way to go!!!! I never have to worry anymore if my air pump will work. Myself and a friend put on my coils, I also put on new shocks at the same time, it took us about 2 hours, not too long since we had never done this before.
GO WITH THE COILS !!!!!

Ralph

Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Overlanding

What about the SLS Compressor pump? How did you disarm the pump or turn it off after you replaced the airbags with springs?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Winching

I haven't done anything because my SLS hasn't failed since I started this thread. As a mater of fact I have not used the truck in four days and the air suspension has not gone down. I checked everything and everything is working fine. I still can't figure out why it went down only once.

Quick Reply: air suspension/sls problems