Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air suspension/sls problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace the air bags, if you get a good kit, it will include a wire harness to confuse the trucks computer to make it beleave that the air bags are still there.You will love the springs, hell while your at it put a lift on it, if you do 2" other than an alignment you wont have to worry about drive train mods, and you can fit larger tires and be able to get through deeper mud or snow, or just look cooler.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Landy Idaho
What about the SLS Compressor pump? How did you disarm the pump or turn it off after you replaced the airbags with springs?
Dealer or an indy shop with a Testbook. You need something that you can change settings on the BCU with.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None of the kits that I have seen though have come with a wire harness kit, just the springs, shocks, and sometimes a steering damper.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:30 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

someone on the board with a Bearmach Hawkeye can also go into you BCU and convert the truck from a SLS to a coil spring truck, which will end you compressor problems and all your SLS warning lights. I did mine the other day just for sh*ts & giggles, the BCU sees it as a coil spring truck and shuts off anything assocated with the SLS.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:48 PM
7th Gear

I'm new to working on my own Rover. I have a Discovery with flaky rear suspension. It sags only on one side and it does eventually pump up and will be fine, for a while.

I know a lot of folks are replacing with springs. I am looking for any of the parts that are being taken off to see if I can get mine running again without having to put out the cost that I don't really have right now.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Overlanding

Are you looking for just the airbags on the rear or also the springs on the front as well as the shocks?

Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
7th Gear

I am interested in the air bags and compressor assembly only. The front is doing fine. I don't think this LR will ever go offroad in its life, sad.

Rod

Old 06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Three Wheeling

There are three check valves in the system. The first is directly after the compressor output. The other two are the left and right air valves themselves. There is also a restricted bleed line between the exhaust line and the compressor output. If one of the air valves is sticking then that side will bleed down when the vehicle is turned off and the compressor is not running. If you have an intermittent problem of this nature it is not due to a cracked air spring or leaky line.

I also have air springs on my F350 pickup although they are supplemental and not primary. The on board compressor is pretty loud and unsophisticated so when I read all of these posts from people who have ditched the SLS on their Discos I'm interested in maybe getting some of those discarded parts. I wouldn't mind installing an entire compressor unit on my truck and having a few extra valves and springs for my Disco.

So if anyone out there has a box of parts in the garage doing nothing - let's talk.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 PM
7th Gear

After doing more reading into what it takes to repair the rear air bag suspension am I correct that I have to have a device to control the computer or I can't do my own work???

My last Land Rover was a 1964 88. I could do everything on it using a hammer, pliers and screwdrivers!!!

So the new Land Rover isn't really a user friendly vehicle after all! I'm really disappointed if this is the case.

Rod

Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 PM
7th Gear

A new thought just came to me. Is there anyone in the Seattle area that will allow me to borrow their Testbook to work on my suspension?

Thanks

Rod

Quick Reply: air suspension/sls problems