Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm / Central Locking

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:39 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm / Central Locking

Alarm on my Discovery 2 V8 year 2000 (Petrol).
Last week the Alarm sounded for no apparent reason whilst the car was parked. I used the remote to switch it off, then tried to unlock and lock the car using the remote. The alarm sounded once when I pressed the lock button on the remote, but the car did not lock. I then started the car hoping it will reset something! I then tried to lock the car again using the remote, but it did not, instead the one beep sounded.

I then used the internal button near the dash and locked all door and used the key to lock the driver door. This again produced a one beep, but locked the door manually.

After a couple of hours I tried to see if the remote locking is working. Everything was back to normal.

I have now got the same problem for the second time. I have locked the car manually, and hope it will sort its self back to normal.

Please advise why this is happening.
Thanks.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Alarm / Central Locking

You had the horn do the one beep because there was a door or hood slightly open.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Drifting

I have checked all door and the hood if they areproperly closed, alsoreplaced the battery in the remote - but still the same problem appears. The horn beeps once and the doors do not lock, unless done manually with the key, this again sounds the beep once when the key is used.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like a bad swich / sensor ie. hood or doors. I think the easiest to rule out first would be the hood. The system should read a closed circuit from that switch when the hood is closed so to rule that out I would think you could just unplug the wires to the switch and close the circuit yourself (like with a thin piece of wire inserted into each of the connectors). If everything then works you know that's what needs replaced. I think all the others are actually located in the mechanisms within the doors, PITA. PLEASE wait for Mikes input before trying as I would not want to be telling you something incorrect. Also, if you have a multimeter, you could check for continuity when you depress the switch manually.

-T-

Old 01-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

The hood switch is known to fail or get damaged which could be the problem.
Have you tried resetting the alarm system by either using the remote r the door key and slowly locking and unlocking the doors 3 times. This will fix simple issues, anything else and you'll need a mechanic with a good test scanner.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Drifting

Mike, is this by inserting the key in the door lock and locking/unlocking 3 times.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

"YUP"!

Old 01-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Drifting

I seem to have a new issue now!

The central locking is nowworking, but when I put the key in the ignition and turn to position 2 or start the engine, the dash has a flashing 'D' and then 'P'. What does this mean please.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Try resetting the inerita switch on the passenger side of the firewall.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Drifting

I'm not sure wherethe inerita switch islocated and what it looks like. Also please advise how to reset it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Alarm / Central Locking