Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm went off now cant start

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm went off now cant start

Alright, so my alarm randomly went off a little while ago, now my disco wont start. I do not have a remote as i bought it without one. Any idea what to do?

Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

did the alarm time out and go off or did you shut it off with the key in the door?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Overlanding

key in the door

Old 03-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I found this on Range Rover.net maybe it will be helpful to you.
Alarm / Security System Problems

See Also the Alarm System Operation & Fault Diagnosis page for a full expose of problems and solutions.

Many owners have reported problems with the over-designed alarm and engine disabling system furnished on the 4.0/4.6 Range Rover. Early in its career, the 4.0/4.6 won an award for the theftproofing thoroughness of its alarm system, but for most owners the alarm features are more of a nuisance than a help. The alarm system has an engine immobilization feature so that in order to start the engine, a mobilization code must be sent from the BeCM to the engine management ECU. On European spec models from 1996 onwards, before this can happen a magnetic field is generated by a "Passive Immobilisation Coil" in the steering column, exciting a receiving coil in the handset causing it to transmit a mobilisation signal to the BeCM. All this sounds great in theory but there have been some unpleasant experiences of owners whose veicles have been immobilized for long periods while the dealer or other shop tries to figure out what is wronng. Of course, if you are out in Range Rover terrain when this happens, you have a long walk ahead of you. A typical experience is that of Rob who reports that on his 1998 Range Rover 4L "The motor went into lockdown and would not start. It sat for a week at the dealer and cost $900.00 by the time it was completed. The dealer said it was an alarm fault but would not expand on that. I live about 2 hours drive from the closest dealer....

A couple of the most common problems are described below; many more appear on the Alarm System Operation & Fault Diagnosis page

"Alarm Fault" Message: The most common cause of this message being displayed on the Message Center is failure of the ultrasonic sensor which monitors the interior of the vehicle for intruders. The BeCM does a check on this sensor every time you switch the engine off and get out. If it does not work 5 consecutive times it generates the fault message. Replacement of the sensor, which is located above and to the left of the driver's head, is simple.

Lockout due to Failed Remote: Staffan Tjernstrom notes that the security/central locking portion of the service manual describes a process (known as Emergency Key Access" or EKA for disarming the theft alarm and re-mobilizing the vehicle in the event that the handset fails while the vehicle is in superlocked mode. Each vehicle has a four digit EKA code which is needed for the procedure. The code is entered by turning the key the required number of times in the driver's door lock according to a prescribed sequence (see Alarm Operation & Diagnosis page). It might be worth a try if you are having alarm troubles.

Lockout due to Dead Battery: If you leave your RR parked at an airport or somewhere with a lot of radio traffic, the alarm system can keep getting woken up and cause the battery to die by the time you get back from your trip. Then open the door with your key, pop the hood, get a jump cable from some friendly passer by, hook them up and the BeCM locks the car, locking you out -- probably with your key in the ignition. Be very careful about where you leave your keys!

Old 03-18-2011, 03:36 AM
Overlanding

hey thanks for the help, i really appreciate it. fortunately for me though, i did nothing and was able to start up the Disco last night! Hopefully this doesnt happen again!