Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all synthetic oils the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Are all synthetic oils the same?

We just ran an oxidation test but have not published them yet. I can't believe the results. I can see where your skepticism comes from. I got into this in 1991. I thought it was just another snake oil at first too. My buddy had a 4 wheeler that kept overheating. I gave him a case, and he has been using it for 10 years because of how his 4 wheeler ran. Please keep in mind, I am not knocking other brands. I recommend Mobile 1. For the price, it is a good oil. But, I run a loaded bearing tester to display the performance of RP so people can see the oil, not just read the tests done. All other oils eventually lock up the bearing. RP does not, even with the full load on. I can even pull the oil sump and fill it with water. It just keeps running.

I sell to trucking companies and industrial plants. The last major company I got was Asplundh...the orange tree trimming trucks in North America. They are saving tons of money on oil changes, their repair costs have gone down, and fuel consuption lowered. They have been running the full fleet for a little over a year now. We are not assosciated with the automotive group. I am really not supposed to sell to that market, but I have a few friends with Harleys, and they beg me to get them Max-cycle. My site is longrider.com That has all of the tests we have performed.

The color and pictures are marketing. Just like naming the company Long Rider apperals to truck drivers. Everyone wants a hat. That gets the oil in the engine, and the rest speaks for its self. The dye has no adverse effects whatsoever. Just marketing. John Williams started RP in 86. He helped develope Mobile 1, and wanted to go farther. The formula has changed over the years to meet API requirements, but it is still the same additinve package. I have not heard of anyone losing an engine due to our oil. People have tried to blame the oil, but in every case, we have found a faulty part in the engine, and the owners have been happy and continue to use our oil.

Sorry for rambling, I will get the results posted as soon as I can, and I will try to get a video of the bearing test. One thing- only run 3K on the first change. RP will clean out all of the gunk in your engine and end up really dirty on the frist change. You will be ok after that.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Are all synthetic oils the same?

ORIGINAL: dc10freighter

I have a question about oil. Whats your feeling on how time vs. miles affect the viscosity of the oil. I know that petroleum lubes break down over time, and we drive only around 6-9k a year. Will synthetic hold up to 2 oil changes a year, or does it need to be changed more often? I have been running regular petroleum based oil in my Disco, but am interested in synthetics. I change our oil every 3 months for viscosity.
Synthetics will be ok for up to 5K. Then you will get too much fuel dillution due to the mixture on these trucks. As for time, synthetics will not beak down, you should be ok. Time is not an issue, only cleanliness.