Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost fed up

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
These are my 12 gauge prototypes
Chubb you are full of good ideas! I've removed my fan maybe 25 times for various repairs and experiments... and I have NO IDEA what the part on the left in that picture does! Haha. Enlighten me, please!

Old 08-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoTanB
I am trying to get to the water pump on my '03 Disco II. I have watched the bulls*** videos on how to get the fan off, done a search, yadda yadda yadda. When I try to use the video method with the correct tool the fan And the pulley just spin. I can't find anywhere to brace the pulley to keep it from turning. Do I just wedge a pry bar behind it or what? Pi**ed off and getting frustrated. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Ahh. I misunderstood. I pictured you wrestling the water pulley. To fit the pulley, I locked a set of (auto-body long neck angled) vise grips on the pulley and tightened down the three bolts.

For the viscous clutch fan removal / install, I used the air hammer viscous fan tool, but I "think" the key is to have the accessory drive belt fitted. That should keep the water pump pulley from spinning freely.

Last edited by coors; 08-16-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Location: Charles Town, WV, originally from Central Valley, California
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, we have the direction straightened out. However, every time I whack the wrench on the fan the pulley turns with it. So if I understand correctly I just reposition the wrench and keep whacking the wrench until it comes loose. Is that about right?

Old 08-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, we have the direction straightened out. However, every time I whack the wrench on the fan the pulley turns with it. So if I understand correctly I just reposition the wrench and keep whacking the wrench until it comes loose. Is that about right?
That's pretty much it...

Old 08-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Correct. The nut will test your patience. It's a PITA!

Old 08-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

You just need to put a big adjustable wrench on it and wack it with a hammer

Old 08-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It really only works if the belt is still on to provide a little resistance so if you took it off you'll need to put it back on. I also opt for a regular hammer instead of a rubber mallet; it provides more of a shock factor which is what you want. With the belt off, I've also used one of those rubber strap wrenches around the pulley; about 3 bucks at harbor freight.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Problem I had with it. And maybe what the OP is having is that the belt doesn't give enough friction and things jut spin.

I was changing my serp belt and wanted more room. I realized after a while I could do the job without taking off the fan.

With the new belt things were far more frictioney. Although then Didn't try to get the fan off.

I didn't have a second person to tension the tensioner more.

Last edited by cappedup; 08-16-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by june82000
It really only works if the belt is still on to provide a little resistance so if you took it off you'll need to put it back on. I also opt for a regular hammer instead of a rubber mallet; it provides more of a shock factor which is what you want. With the belt off, I've also used one of those rubber strap wrenches around the pulley; about 3 bucks at harbor freight.
June that's right... I don't know why mallet was in my mind. Metal hammer is best. That big nut needs a shock. Again and again.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

A fan wrench set(wrench and pulley holder) can be borrowed from PepBoys and other places for free. They have you pay for the set up front and then refund you when you return it.

Quick Reply: Almost fed up