Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright, this is getting annoying..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alright, this is getting annoying..

Since getting my Rover a couple months ago, I have fixed a multitude of things and gotten it in tip top shape thanks to this forum. I really appreciate all the help. I am stuck now though on one last thing (other than mods). I cannot fix a rain leak for the life of me. I came out today for lunch and found a puddle in the CDL boot. It had rained, but not even that hard. I have already used three tubes of windshield sealant, AND black siliconed an entire line across the top of the upper windshield rubber. I know water cannot get through there, because I can watch it with a hose and it runs right over the seal like I wanted it to. However, I am still getting water coming from the center of the windshield. I have had the headliner out and all the sunroof drains are in good shape. I even put more silicone around them and tested with the hose-no leaks. I wasn't looking, but I also didn't notice any leaks from the roof bars with the headliner out. It is certainly coming from the windshield, but I just can't figure out where. My next step will have to be siliconing around the entire thing. Does anyone have any other tips on what to do? I can't see any rust around it, but I assume it has to be rotted inside there. TIA

Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

isnt there a seam on the top of the roof above the windshied where the driprails meets the windshield the leaks. I think it was a recall, maybe?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh man, that's frustrating. I'm assumng you had someone soak the thing with a hose while you were inside trying to find a leak. Maybe a trip through a car wash will show you where it is. If you pulled the headliner and couldn't find any evidence of a leak from the sunroof, maybe it is working it's way in from the cowl and running though the dash.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
isnt there a seam on the top of the roof above the windshied where the driprails meets the windshield the leaks. I think it was a recall, maybe?
I've gooped that up fairly well, but I could be more generous with it. I guess I will try that again, and hope it works. If not, I can only see having to take the windshield out and having any holes fixed and resealed. $$$

Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Oh man, that's frustrating. I'm assumng you had someone soak the thing with a hose while you were inside trying to find a leak. Maybe a trip through a car wash will show you where it is. If you pulled the headliner and couldn't find any evidence of a leak from the sunroof, maybe it is working it's way in from the cowl and running though the dash.
Yea, my wife soaked it while I was inside and I've confirmed it is the windshiled. It's not the cowl because it drips from above the rearview mirror. I also siliconed the cowl anyway for preventative maintenance and it is pretty water tight now. It has to be those corners where the roof rails meet. It really can't be anything else.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Baja

well if you have glass coverage and your windshield got "a stone chip" it would be that $$$

Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Rock Crawling

well if you have glass coverage and your windshield got "a stone chip" it would be that $$$
My insurance covers chips for free, but they only stop the crack. If the chip is too big, then I have to pay the deductible ($500) to have the windshield replaced. I like where your head is though.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Baja

mC04DII, so im guessing its an 04 does it have a stat. antenna on it? and does the cable run from the little shark fin up to the front above the headliner?

Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine used to leak everytime it rained. I checked all the drains while the headliner was out and could find nothing wrong. I was about about to silicone the sunroofs shut I was so fet up with hitting the brakes and having cold water poured down the back of my shirt( headed to work mind you.) I then noticed that the housings that the sunroofs set down inside were not touching the roof of the truck. So instead of siliconing between the glass and the housing, I siliconed between the plastic housing and the metal roof. Drastic decrease in the amount of leaks. Now its very seldom it leaks and when it does it not very much at all. I guess I didnt apply enough and need to put some more around them. It used to be like **** out of a boot though!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling

mC04DII, so im guessing its an 04 does it have a stat. antenna on it? and does the cable run from the little shark fin up to the front above the headliner?
It doesn't have any shark fin on it. The mirror just has a compass but no temp. There is a cord going to the mirror, but it doesn't have an outside exit point that I'm aware of.

Quick Reply: Alright, this is getting annoying..