Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright, switching directions here. First things first though...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alright, switching directions here. First things first though...

Alright first off I have to give a huge thanks to all of you guys. Your advice, your tips, all are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much Andy for taking time out of your own schedule to go to a boneyard and pull a drive shaft for me, driving 35 miles to get it to Phil (Spike555) and thanks to Spike for shipping it to me super cheap and quick....Thanks so much guys (and if there are any gals here, thank you too).

Anywho, here is a long story short. I am trying to hunt down a misfire. It is my #8 cylinder (according to the code), and (also according to the code) I have a dead injector on that cylinder that I believe is stuck as wide open as the day is long. I have my suspicions about that cylinder having low compression, but I'll get to that in a minute.

I cannot see any way to get to the injectors with out removing the Intake Manifold. I have never delved that far into an engine before, and, honestly, the idea intimidates the crap out of me. Looking at it, it looks pretty straightforward, but I have this fear that I will completely botch it, and screw the whole thing up. Here are my biggest questions: When I go to remove the intake manifold, is there anything special I need to do? Do I absolutely have to replace the gasket? Are there any pieces that might fall out? And once I get to the injectors, do I have to replace them all at once? Got any tips? Please, enlighten me. I am flying by the seat of my pants, it's how I learn the best.

Now, onto the #8 cylinder. I am beginning to suspect that I have low compression in the number 8 cylinder. Hell, I might have low compression all around, I don't know. Take into mind that I have NOT performed a compression test yet. I might have today, but it rained ALL DAY LONG. But in the event that I do have a cylinder or two that are shot (#8 being the only one I really suspect), what are some things that I can do or try? Would you suggest Engine Restore? Should I hunt down another 4.0? Another (rather insane) option would be to do a TD5 conversion. Someone was talking that it might be something like 20 hours to pull an engine? Would this be something someone could do without going to a mechanic? I love the idea of having a diesel. I like the power they provide, they're more efficient IMO, just all around, I like diesels. Would this be a viable option?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

wow.

it is possible to remove the IM without replacing the gasket. Get a copy of RAVE and go through the removal procedure.

You can replace the injectors one at a time, but I would try having them professionally cleaned, all at the same time.

I have used restore before with good results. These engines tend to throw off a lot of carbon, so you will have to be religious about changes. You can re-build your motor as long as your liners are ok. You can get new rings and bearings and re-hone your cylinders. You just can't bore it out. Diesel conversions are a lot of $$$$$.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ahh ha I didn't know it was in the Rave CD...thanks to Disco_Fever for my copy!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Exactly what were your fault code numbers?
Have you check the compression?
D2 injectors rarely fail.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Disco Mike...

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Exactly what were your fault code numbers?
Have you check the compression?
D2 injectors rarely fail.
Here are the codes that I pulled prior to getting the Rover moving. I have not pulled them since I patched the hole in the tranny, and replaced the driveshaft. I have been trying not to drive it.

Here they are, I pulled them from my previous post about them:

P0208 - Injector Circuit Open Cylinder 8 - Code popped up immediately after reset multiple times.

P1300 (and later P1319) - Manufacturer Control Ignition System or Misfire

P0308 - Cylinder 8 Misfire - Immediately/Multiple times after reset.

P0722 - Output Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal (Speedometer and Cruise work fine)

P0300 - Random/Multiple Misfire (Random and Multiple times)

P0305 - Cylinder 5 misfire (Code showed twice on initial scan, but never came back after reset)

P166E - Manufacturer Control Auxiliary Inputs Auxiliary Outputs (showed up again after 4th reset and scan) Not sure what this is.

P1592 - Manufacturer Control Vehicle Speed, Idle Speed Control, Auxiliary inputs (showed up after 4th reset and scan) No problems with regards to this.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my opinion here but, ifn you have Ka-Honies enough to yank your tranny apart to fix a hole you'll have no problem with the IM. From what I've read of your work, you appear to have a pretty good degree of - attention to detail. First time, just take your time and you'll be fine.

Robert

Old 03-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a misfire once. At the time I also thought an injector was the problem but my indy mechanic told me that injector problems were rare, just like Mike said. Anyway, make sure your iginition wires are connected well, I had one come unseated in back that caused the misfire. It came loose nearly a year after I changed out my wires for new ones.

Good Luck,

Dana

Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

$.98 Champions......................

Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
$.98 Champions......................
Already replace the plugs, still have the misfire and flashing SES light...

Old 03-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Injectors are expensive, you might just want to replace the bad one.

Quick Reply: Alright, switching directions here. First things first though...