Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Going Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alternator Going Bad?

I've got a 1997 LSE (111K) and the lights (both headlights and instrument lights) flicker. They've done this for almost a year and I've been told both by the dealer and an independent mechanic that this means the alternator is going bad. I was getting ready to replace it, but wanted input from the folks here on it. The alternator has never been replaced.

BTW, this is a great board! I've started doing a lot of stuff myself and though I'm a newbie, this place has been invaluable.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Start with removing cleaning and tightening all you cables, go to a local auto parts store and have them do one of their free battery/alternator test.
Let us know what they say, voltage should be between 13.6 and 14.4.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you going to replace it or have it done?
To do it yourself it is a 60 min job if you have never done one before and will set you back $200 for a rebuilt one from a autoparts store.
Under $100 for a used one.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Well, the cables needed a little cleaning, but both alternator and battery checked out at Autozone. The voltage started at 13.xx and jumped up to around 14.1 when the test finished. I'll clean the cables better when I get home. Any ideas if that doesn't work? It's kind of like the lights pulsate (obviously more noticeable at night).

I definitely was planning on doing the alternator myself. I've done it before on another car and it looks straightforward.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Team Owner

Rover Chris is a 12v electrical engineer, get ahold of him and then post the repair so that we can learn too.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Three Wheeling

I just wanted to update everyone and say that this problem was caused by the alternator going bad. I've had an independent LR certified tech doing some other work for me and the first thing out of his mouth when he observed the lighting at night was (he was looking at another problem) "You're alternator is going bad.". So I ordered a rebuilt one, put it on, and no more flickering.

BTW, you guys have inspired me. I love my Disco and since it's paid for I thought I'd put a little bit into it. I'll post pics and specs when everything's complete.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That comes from one of two, a winding going bad or the regulator in the alternator going bad. So the test of output may still be ok, but the regulation of the electricity will be off.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator going bad?

Hi,
I have a 2001 disco II with 150,000 miles. A few weeks ago I started hearing a clicking/grinding noise that seems to be coming from the alternator. I am quite sure it's the bearings. I am considering replacing the alternator. Comments?

I would like to use a 'Hi Test' brand remanufactured unit which costs $150. What do you think about this brand?

Finally, I have no experience removing or installing an alternator. Is this something a novice can do?

C

Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's really easy to replace the alternator. 4 bolts and a couple wires I believe. You may need to knock the old one out with a rubber mallet, hammer and a pry bar. Make sure to disconnect the negative lead from your battery.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Team Owner

Just a note on aftermarket rebuilt alternators.
They are generally junk.
I am on my third one in alittle over a year.
I keep using them because I get new ones for free but I plan on buying a used one from a junk yard.
www.autosportsunlimited.com...$50 plus shipping.
Personally I think a used LR alternator is better than a "new" one from a discount autoparts store.

Make sure you unhook your battery first, then take out the alternator, I can do mine start to finish in under 30 min.
Make sure you take note of where the wires go.

Quick Reply: Alternator Going Bad?