Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Alternator upgrade

I'm looking for a new alternator to help power my winch and new lights. I've noticed the p38 alternator is a 150A over the 130A D2 alternator. A few sellers on ebay say they fit both trucks. Anyone have an experience with this. Or any info for me on a higher amp alternator for my D2.

2000 D2 4.0 ltr engine.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need more power for stuff like that get a 2 battery setup and a charge controller. For real heavy loads you're looking at around 400 amps needed to run just a winch alone. With a decent dual battery setup you should be able to run a winch pulling like 8000 lbs for 15 mins straight before you're out of juice (and stranded so dont do that)

Last edited by br0keit; 06-20-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Winching
Default alternator

Yes, duel battery is an option. Are you saying don't bother upgrading the alternator? i'm looking for alternator options. Is it not even worth looking into a 150A or 200A alternator?

Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running p38 Range Rover 150amp alternator(s) in my D2 for 2 years now.
The first One I installed, I bought for $70 from a local junk yard. It works great. I found a brand new 150amp Range Rover Bosch alternator (AL0809N) on Amazon for $160. I installed the new one and keep the old one as a spare.
(I only have one battery BTW).

Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by br0keit
If you need more power for stuff like that get a 2 battery setup and a charge controller. For real heavy loads you're looking at around 400 amps needed to run just a winch alone. With a decent dual battery setup you should be able to run a winch pulling like 8000 lbs for 15 mins straight before you're out of juice (and stranded so dont do that)
I am running the Dihard platinum (oddessey) battery and have no trouble winching multiple times with out issue.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ebg18t
I am running the Dihard platinum (oddessey) battery and have no trouble winching multiple times with out issue.
Oh absolutely, it depends on the winch and the pull force. Adding a battery doubles the amount of time you can use it. All that being said if you don't beef up the system in SOME way you'll really be limited to 4000 lb max pull (can be multiplied with blocks) and not for very long since starting batteries aren't meant to have such high current draw for long periods. Between pulls if you let the battery charge and only pull a minute or so at a time, the stock setup is more than adequate.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the dual battery set up is the preferred method when winching. Now having said that I am certain that there is a place in Montana that will re-chip your current alternator. From my understanding the alternator is chipped to ensure that the 130 amp output is strong and stable. It actually has has higher output capacity. reasoning is that with the high electrics in our truck the better amperage is more desirable that a fluxuating 150 or 200 amp service alternator. So while upgrading to a 150 or 200 may theoretically give you more amps the strength may not be as consistent as the current 130. hence the dual battery set up. I think I have the name of the outfit in montana but no promises. Personally I would go dual battery with factory alternator making sure that both batteries are deep marine cycle. nothing worse than getting yourself out with the winch only to have killed your battery while running a single. but hey this is just my opinion.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You have options,
Buy a much stronger alternator from some one like Mean Green, up to , I believe, 250 amps
Have your's rebuilt locally by a mechanic who knows how to modify it up to around 190 amps
Buy a different alternator like a P38
If not winching a lot, stay with a 130 amp and install one of 2 Sears Platinum Marine batteries
Or stay with a good 130 amp Bosch, which is what I have on my truck along with dual Yellow Tops, which has lasted for 13 years now and offers a ton of power towards the 450 amp plus draw of a good winch.
Which ever way you go, if you don't have a ball buster battery, you will kill another alternator in short fashion.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Winching

THanks for all the imput. I wasn't opening up a discussion about alternators over duel batteries. I'm buying a new alternator soon and was looking for options. I think I will try ot source a p38 alternator for the short term.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Ah, from the original post it seemed you were looking for options to satisfy your winch+ lights needs. That being said, if you need a new alternator anyways you don't necessarily have to buy a new one. You can get your current one re-wound to the desired output.

Quick Reply: Alternator upgrade