Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I supposed to wave?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I supposed to wave?

Ok, so I'm quite new to Rover ownership and I have a question. Having owned a few Spitfires and now a few older Porsches, I would always wave to people driving the same car. (or even a car from the same country).

What's the deal here? I haven't actually seen anyone else on the road yet so I don't know if they will think I'm a bit funny for waving...

Do you wave to other Rovers?

Old 11-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Am I supposed to wave?

In my experience there are two different types of Rover owners - one waves, the other with just wonder who the h*ll was waving at 'em. The soccer mom-esque ******* with street treads who feel off-roading is the gravel road up to the ski cabin won't wave. If you see a British flag (front license plate, sticker, decal, etc.) on their rig, they'll probably wave. If it's lifted and/or muddy, is covered with roof racks,offroad lights, or otherwise looks like it would be out of place at the country club...they'll probably wave. If it's rockin' dubs or better, you may be left hangin'. Rover's seem to have two owner groups, but only one of them is a fan group. Just my cent-and-a-half.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:22 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

since most of the rovers in my area are driven by either soccer moms or men in suits who look like **** ****** i dont wave. i do wave at the rare rover that looks like it is used like a rover. ie muddy, lifted, extra lights, etc

Old 11-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd wave... the bright yellow paint, lift kit, roof rack, bent skid plate, and missing bits from both bumpers tells you which group i'm in...
________
Arizona Dispensaries

Last edited by discoxd; 08-15-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would wave... too few Rovers where I live. And probably that the ones I would meet are owned by business man and soccer moms.

I own a Rover in a sea of Jeeps....

Old 11-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling

I think i can easily say, pick your targets LOL. Here in michigan, they would think your making a rude gesture and not good. I do park next to another rover though if i see one in a lot.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Here in South Charlotte, 99% of Rover owners have never even see dirt. Mine is the only jacked up, muddy, knobby ties, loud exhaust Rover around, with 1 exception. The other day I was at a stoplight and "felt" someone staring at me. I looked over and it was distinguished gentleman in a jacked up Rover like mine. So yes, I smiled and waved and he did the same. That's pretty much the only time I will wave.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Mudding

In a town of about 450, there are two red Discos (one D1, one D2), a tan Disco (a D1), a white Disco (a D1), a silver Disco (D1) and my green D2. Two of those wave to me. Both red. I gave my running boards to one of them, the other is just this rockin' chick who lives in town and waved at me.
None of them that I know of go off road (except mine, even though mine is way too "street" right now...like wearing high heels on a tread mill...I've only been off road a couple of times, so maybe I don't count yet...haha)

Somewhere, someone who lives/works here got way too fancy of a black Range Rover...they never wave. Sad. There's so much shiny chrome it'll blind you on a sunny day...big ol' rims. I'm waiting for them to put spinners on.

I want to start waving to all Discos. Even the rude ones... )

It's kinda like boating...we ALWAYS wave to EVERYONE on the water back in MI.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:39 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I wave to al the rovers I pass, even when I drive my Dodge. Just kind of a habit that comes from driving a truck. I pass another tractor trailer, I wave (unless it's another oil field company, then it's a different gesture that always gets returned) and I do the same with rovers. In Denver, most rovers are driven by soccer moms that have their noses so far in the air they don't even see my wave. I just have to laugh at them. I do notice that the people in Denver who take the time to keep a D1 on the road tend to be the rover-atics and they wave all the time.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Rock Crawling

There are several Disco's in and around where I live, and I always wave. Unfortunately, I have never received a return wave. There are several white D1's, and several different color D2's. Also, one of my co-workers drives a green D1 SD7. Course we talk all the time.

Quick Reply: Am I supposed to wave?