Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AM Radio not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM Radio not working

I just got a 2000 Discovery II with the Harmon audio package. Everything seems to work just great except AM reception is practically nonexistant. I get better reception in my 1980 Chevrolet van without an antenna.

I know the antennas are in the rear windows, but is there a system/switch/fuse/whatever that controls the AM antenna that could go out? I listen to AM most of the time and it would be great to get it working.

Thanks,
Ken

Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: AM Radio not working

Ken, I have the same issue. If you want to look back 2-3 weeks, you will see my post. I'm still in warranty, so I took it to the dealer. They brought around another Disco and counted the number of stations it would pick up. They were the same, which means both were equally bad. So, they said there was nothing wrong with it.

Needless to say, both you and I know the reception is terrible. I'm much like you, I listen to talk radio alot. It doesn't make me very happy they installed such a terrible am radio in these otherwise high end vehicles.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For some reason, that rear intenna just doesnt do AM very well. Sorry there isn't much I can tell you. I dont understand why the AM is so bad when my FM is perfect, as a matter of fact my disco has better FM recep. than a suburban, but Am is not even close. Just one of those things i guess...

Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Drifting

So I started messing with my poor AM reception over the weekend and I found that only the passenger side antenna affected the AM reception. If I disconnected the driver's side snap to the glass antenna nothing changed. Disconnect the passenger side and AM goes out completly. Put my finger on the passengersnap and AM reception is as clear as a bell.

I'm not yet sure if the AM side is supposed to be using both antennas. You could check yours to see if you get the same results. The connectors are just like jacket snaps and can be pried loose with a small flat tool.

I'm going to try and dig into the wireing diagram and see if this is how its supposed to work or if there is some other problem (broken/cracked wirein the head liner)preventing the drivers side antenna from reaching the head unit.

All in all it just points to a really bad antenna design for AM since using my body as the antenna made it very clear. Kinda sad really since my previous Maxima had an in-glass antenna and its AM reception was crystal clear. Will update again when I learn more.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The right hand side does both AM / FM and the left only does FM. I think the poor reception is basically down to the fact the aerials are in the windows as opposed to roof or wing mounted. WhenI added navigation to my DiscoI used a freelander roof antenna, this improved reception loads and it does notneed an amplifier either.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Drifting

I kinda figured that was the case. I guess now I get to experiment with interesting new antenna's to try. I just can't stand losing AM reception every time a tractor trailer passes me.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

There is an antenna amplifier at the back pillar (according to the RAVE CD) for the standard radio, there is an amplifier on each rear pillar for the 'high line' radio (what you have). One amplifier/antenna is for AM, one is for FM. So, I would take off the rear plastic and check the power to, or the operation of that amplifier on the passenger's side. That is the AM amplifier. The fact that adealer just pulls up another Disco and says "that's how they all are" just shows how bad/lazy some mechanics/service mgrs can be. Whenever a dealer tells me something can't be done, it just energizes me to dig in more. I haven't had to dig into the problem you have as I have a D1, but please post your response. Others will be gratefull for your help as this issue is posted often. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Drifting

Thats my next move, just have to pick up a pannel popper to get that piece off and I will be investigating the amplifier/wireing behind there. Will update as I get in deeper.