Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amigo reader in/around Indy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amigo reader in/around Indy?

Thought I would check on here to see if anyone has the amigo reader in or around the Indianapolis, IN area. 3 amigos have been on for some time and the 'ol lady is starting to wear me out complaining about it :-). Hell, it might be worth the $150 or whatever it is to just buy one considering all the stuff I read on here about 3 amigos. Any way, holler if you got one.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:34 AM
Mudding
Default What is it?

Just what is this 3 Amigos?

Old 02-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How far is Churubusco from you?
P T Schram is a frequent contributor to Discovery fora
P T Schram Rover Repair

Old 02-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

The three amigos is an event in which the Land Rover Discovery II's ABS system is malfunctioning. The whole system trips when one little thing goes wrong. Once a hard fault hits, you have to have the Land Rover testbook to turn it off and to take it in and have it done it cost 120 at a dealer. The ABS amigo clears your codes and tells you whats wrong when you plug it into a pc.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Mudding

It sounds like The Land Rover dealer is one of our closest enemies. Bastards!, oops!....well I guess it isn't swearing if it is true. So does Land Rover have a monopoly on that "testbook" thing; can places like Autozone help? When this does happen does it become clear why it is called "amigo" ? Cause I'm still a little dafussed with that.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Drifting

Churubusco is around 2 hours north east of where I live. I had never even heard of the city...had to look it up on Google Maps.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 2001SE7
So does Land Rover have a monopoly on that "testbook" thing; can places like Autozone help? When this does happen does it become clear why it is called "amigo" ? Cause I'm still a little dafussed with that.
In Indy? Yes, LR pretty much has a monopoly but Euro MotorWorks on 90th St (317.595.9272) might have testbook. If they do they probably won't be any less expensive than the dealership. Autozone won't have anything.

The lights are called the three amigos because they always show up together. The ABS Amigo is called that because it diagnoses and clears the "amigos" not to mention it is your amigo (friend) if you ever need to clear out the ABS codes.

I'm going to be purchasing the Hawkeye diagnostic tool. It has been too cold to work on anything and I have had too much going on. I'll post when I do and see if you still need the codes cleared.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Mudding

Wolkesan,

will this Hawkeye diagnostic tool diagnose and clear the "amigos"? How much is a Hawkeye diagnoses tool? Are there other affordable "Amigos Readers" available to the home DIY mechanic. I have seen OBD readers that are available for the majority of automobiles; is the Hawkeye tool capable of diagnosing Land Rover OBD and Amigos as well as other manufacturers?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Three Wheeling

You can read about it here: http://www.dap-inc.com/hawkeye/index.shtml

I use a ScanGaugeII as my OBD tool because I like to be able to monitor water temperature along with other data as I drive, but no OBDII code reader can access the proprietary Land Rover codes. (ABS being one of those systems)

They Hawkeye will cost you approximately $600. Not cheap, but when you figure each trip to the dealer will cost you over $100 just to read the codes and you might have to make multiple trips, it isn't that bad. It also allows you to do a lot of diagnostic work on your own that you otherwise could not do. Helps you not throw money at unneeded parts.

ABS Amigo works well and is less money, but it only resets and gives you the ABS codes. To me it is worth the extra money to get more functionality.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

BlackForest motors on NE side of Indy...Highly recommend when I lived there. They did an excellent job on my 02 Range Rover and 00 Disco. Don't take to Tom Woods.... They are a "Ripoff"!!!!

Quick Reply: Amigo reader in/around Indy?