Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amigos for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009 | 05:50 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Amigos for Christmas

Well, I've had just about every other problem related to Disco's, but I didn't think this one would happen to me for some reason. Yes, the dreaded 3 amigos turned on yesterday and now my dash is lite up like a Christmas tree. I'm pretty sure my ABS still works, but I have to check. The weird thing is, today my brake light comes on while driving and doesn't shut off.

I never used to believe in coincidences until I got my Disco and realized that different things just seem to happen at once. I guess my question is... Is the brake light related to the other TC/ABS/HDC lights in any way?? The fluid reservoir is full and the handbrake was not engaged while driving, is there anything else that sensor reads? This all just seemed to happen when it got real cold here in the last two days. Also, I assume what is my ABS pump (under the dash in the middle somewhere) buzzes quite a bit when I come to a stop, despite the fact that the wheels are definitly not slipping. It did not buzz like this in the warm weather and I seem to remember it buzzing last winter whenever I came to a stop. That buzzing must mean something, anybody ever experience this?

Old 12-17-2009 | 06:05 PM
Camel Trophy

Check the cap to make sure that the level sensor is reading correctly. That may throw the codes as well...

Old 12-18-2009 | 01:24 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Funny you mentioned that because when I checked, the reservoir cap was not locked in like it should be. Anyways, the brake light is at least off now after taking the cap off and locking it on correctly. Maybe it jostled the sensor. Just a coincidence trying to throw me off I guess.

I did some thinking on my own here and figure that if I have a bad sensor or bad sensor reading at a wheel it may think the wheel is locking up when I come to a stop causing the ABS to engage when it doesn't need to. I think bad electrical connections seem to show up more often in the cold in my experience.

Old 12-18-2009 | 08:32 PM
Mudding

My 3 Amigo's problem ended up being caused by the brakes squeeling when stopping. I think it moves the sensor in the wheel enough to cause the fault. Solved mine by taking out the brake pads and spraying on some of that anti squeek stuff from the auto parts store. Now no squeek for months and no Amigo's. I did have to buy an ABS Amigo box to clear the lights though. The Amigo's don't always mean a real ABS problem.

Old 12-19-2009 | 07:36 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

My wife usually drives the truck, but I did notice a small squeel once when I came to a stop yesterday and brake dust tends to build up real quick. I hope that solves it. Yes (hopefully), clearing the codes may be the biggest pain. I might just spring for one of those ABS Amigo readers too, definitly better than forking over the cash to the dealer. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 12-19-2009 | 10:18 AM
TReK

not sure what's causing your 3 amigo problem but I'd flush the brake system if the reservoir cap was not locked property. There's probably a lot of moisture in the system now.

Old 12-19-2009 | 05:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Princess
My 3 Amigo's problem ended up being caused by the brakes squeeling when stopping. I think it moves the sensor in the wheel enough to cause the fault. Solved mine by taking out the brake pads and spraying on some of that anti squeek stuff from the auto parts store. Now no squeek for months and no Amigo's. I did have to buy an ABS Amigo box to clear the lights though. The Amigo's don't always mean a real ABS problem.
Did ABS Amigo tell you squealing is the cause? How you link up brake pads and amigos together? Just curious

Old 12-19-2009 | 05:15 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

I'm guessing it gave him some sort of a wheel sensor fault. Squeeling brakes could cause a vibration which causes the senor to read or not read inappropriately?

Old 12-19-2009 | 06:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by yuenie
Did ABS Amigo tell you squealing is the cause? How you link up brake pads and amigos together? Just curious

I linked it up because I cleared it then drove it with no problem then just after the brakes squeeled it popped the 3 Amigos. (This is one reason why it is cool to have an ABS Amigo to be able to clear it easily and check for any changes again.)

My rotors are probably warped and that caused the squeeking and the pulsing brakes. For us it is a scrub (But cool) car and I'm just making it work. Maybe next summer if it is worse I'll change the rotors. But til then the anti squeek stuff solved the problem for a long time and that is why I know it was the problem.

Old 12-21-2009 | 10:06 AM

Someone please point me to the Amigo's clearing tool....Mine pops this dude up every once in awhile...usually when the wheels are filthly with brake dust. My experience is the codes go away when the ignition is cycled. Upon starting it after the codes, the only light that stays lit up is the brake light...it then goes off after about 10 secs

Quick Reply: Amigos for Christmas