Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angles Any one Know ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Angles Any one Know ?

yeah low range the light did its beep thing and Turned solid green ...

Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sweet hill! I see that you had street tires, you probally could have made it had you had something more aggressive. But to make it all but the last few feet with street rubber IS something to be proud of.
So I take it the HDC doesnt work in reverse?
Something thatyou can doon a steep hill that is to long to back down without overheating the brakes is to leave the truck in 1st gear and ride the brakes down the hill.
You will force the transmission to turn backwards, which isint good for it, but it beats ending up like you did.
You can also use the parking brake to help keep you slow.
But once again, I am glad that you and your kids are safe. They look like they had a good time.
How many times did you roll?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto the fact its good that you andyour family are ok, as they guys have already said, the truck can be replaced....but Im sure it still "hurts" to look at it all bent up............it does me and its not even my car!!.......

As far as what happend, how far down had you come backwards before it rolled ?I assume the wheels got turned which then sent it into a roll.

Failed hills climbs are one of the most important skills to learn, cos if you get it wrong coming down, thats what happens.

Heres an example of a failed hill climb, and they were VERY lucky.......the driver did extremely well in the situation !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCWhhQqmW0k

Old 09-02-2008, 01:07 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa! Glad to hear everybody is ok. If I were you I'd keep the rover or buy it back from insurance and turn it into a trail rig...cut the top off and cage it.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Overlanding

sadly i made it up this same hill last week with no problom ..but maybe the rain changed it or something i just really dont know .. the owners manual say that down hill decent works in reverse... ha there deffinitly wrong on that my car is dealer serviced and was in tip top shape inside and out and mechanicly...well just goes to show anything can happen no matter how good your rig is...yeah i kinda dont Even Know what im Gonna Do I think sadly i may be Done wheeling for a while ... its just a nightmare that keeps replaying every time i have a free second to think... The Dealer ship already offered me a Killer deal on an LR3 but i just dunno will see how i feel driving after i heal up.. The rescue team that showed up said a hummer did the Same Thing a few days before and noone servived it.. that had we been in anything elese we would be dead.. thats alot to proccess you know .. Any ways thanks all of you for your best wishes and i hope to talk to you all more.. if you wanna see the rest off the pictures there onmy myspace

www.myspace.com/thongmaster

Old 09-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You need to learn how and what to do off the road. It is obvious you have no wheeling experience, shouldn't have taken it up a hill with those stock tires and never, when in a problem use Hill Decent.
If you get another one, go goin the SCLR and go on some of their trails and get some education.
Glad you were all right.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

To bad you guys dont get snow, that looks like a great sledding hill.
Get the LR3 and then just holf off 'froadin' until you get youir cofidence back.
I cant check out your pic on myspace, I dont have a ID.
I do want to see some of your pro pics though. Just dont post them here.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Urban Panzer

Heres an example of a failed hill climb, and they were VERY lucky.......the driver did extremely well in the situation !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCWhhQqmW0k
I've seen that video before, that's one of the most amazing saves I've ever seen. If he didn't have the presence of mind to floor it when it rolled onto the wheels they would definitely be dead.

Climbing steep hills and not making it to the top is one thing that has always scared me, you have no control going backwards.

...Sorry about your new truck man,the streettires were definitely your downfall. I think your truck looks like a Freelander now.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where was this at? I'm guessing Southern California. BTW you might want to change your signature.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Overlanding

Ive been wheelng for a while now about 10 years never so much have scraped a bumper .. as for that hill i have been up that hill before on Stock tires but just orderd the new terra grapplers for it i think with the rains we had a few weeks ago made more ruts in it and well i dunno either way no matter how much experiance you have and how Great your Car is Things can always happen in total there was 4 flips on that hill this weekend and 12 crashes on bikes .. its a way gnarly hill and it was just a bad day to do it ... thank you for the advise on the Driving school maybe ill take some more ive takin 3 of the land rover experiance course in various place but u just never kow i hope my courage come back soon cause i hate to let that place beat me ... will add more pictures later tonight ...

and as far as the Signiture .. naw i gotta leave it.. it still climbed it ..just didnt come done so well....

Quick Reply: Angles Any one Know ?