Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying noise...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Nux
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Annoying noise...

Ok, I have this quiet (quiet but brutally Annoying) scratchy/crackling noise coming from the drivers side dash area. Seems to be coming from the corner of the dash board and windshield but I can't pin point it. I hear it when I drive over bumps or even cracks in the road. Doesn't matter what temperature it is outside. Seems to NOT do it while i'm making left turns, only while driving straight and right turns. This noise sounds almost like a speaker crackling (checked that too).

I've already checked to see what garbage/debris there was between the windshield and dash (did find an old CD, some parking receipt, a diamond earring and a silver bracelet, lol) but the noise is still there.
A few weeks ago when I took my Disco into the LR dealer for a few recalls, I asked for the mechanic to take a quick look for this sound. It was making the noise even worse while driving to the dealer, so great opportunity for them to check it. Mechanic reported hearing nothing on the test drive. FuQn' liar!

Anyone have this issue? I guess i'll be taking the dash apart next weekend [sm=smiley35.gif]

Thanks in advance.
Daniel

Old 11-20-2005, 07:19 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Annoying noise...

Sounds like you may have a screw loose One of the worse causes of scritchin-scratchin sounds is plastic rubbing on plastic where a mounting screw has vibrated loose. My advice would be to turn up the stereo until a more important issue requires the removal of the dash... but then I've always stood by the maxim: If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Winching

Daniel,

few weeks ago when I took my Disco into the LR dealer for a few recalls, I asked for the mechanic to take a quick look for this sound. It was making the noise even worse while driving to the dealer, so great opportunity for them to check it. Mechanic reported hearing nothing on the test drive. FuQn' liar!
You asked for a ' quick look ' and then condemn the tech as a lier ? Techs are paid by the job, not hourly or salary. What Profession are you employed in that offer free diagnosis ? Please educate yourself about the class action lawsuit brought about by techs across the Country against Ford Motor Company, AKA Land Rover. http://www.flatratetech.com/

Regards,

Old 11-21-2005, 05:57 AM
Nux
Three Wheeling

That's right, a quick look/listen. They didn't need to take my vehicle for a test drive, but they did anyway. Considering they knew this was my first visit to them, and that I could have chosen to get my recalls done at another LR dealer (only a 30 minute drive more), they did spend the extra 9 minutes it took for the mechanic to take it for a test around the block. Did they do me a big favor and sacrifice 9 minutes of their time to gain a new customer? Most likely yes, but to say they heard nothing only "because they don't get paid for it", that is preposterous. They billed the recalls at 6 hours, even though it took them 2.5 hours. (Not that I care)

Anyway, thank you for pointing out something that has nothing to do with the problem in hand. [sm=smiley32.gif]

BTW, in the profession i'm in, I do offer free diagnosis most of the time. I own a fairly sophisticated machine shop. Not all large businesses are out to rape their customers.

Daniel

Old 11-23-2005, 12:05 AM
Winching

Well, well, Not to turn this into a pissing match but, You were the one to originally point out something that has nothing to do with the problem at hand. F-ing lier comes to mind.

If you would like assistance with your dash noise, post it here. If you would like to discuss Dealer service issues post it in the Off Topic section. I'd be more than happy to discuss the issue with you.

FYI, There is a TIB regarding the noise you describe. It does involve partial dashboard removal.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle

don't ask for a quick look, take it in and have it fixed, or do it yourself, if your like me and know how to work on cars and can't afford a dealer). also my buddy is a mechanic for a GM dealer, they may make good money but they only get paid for hours they flag not hours they are at the dealer, he usally flags 75% of the actual hours he is there on a good good week. IF you ask to have it fixed it will get fixed, if you ask to take a look, there just gonna look, and you can't hear a noise by looking. I am guessing it is an easy fix, pull dash apart and find rubbing or "shim it" lol.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:31 AM
Nux
Three Wheeling

Bait, the last thing I care to do is start a pissing match. Although your response was predictable, I can only assume you are employed by LR. Maybe You shouldn't feel need to be the forum police, washing our mouths with soap. You were somehow offended personally by my experience and opinions with the mechanic that was asked to diagnose a simple noise issue I had. Unless that mechanic honestly didn't hear any noise, then I would definitely re-think my words towards the man. In turn, I could have assumed the mechanic was honest, so as a trained LR technician to tell me straight in the face that he heard nothing, was extremely incompetent of him.

For someone to post a problem or issue on this (or any) forum, they should give as much detail about the situation as possible, no? Well I did. Was I a tad too honest about my experience?

Bait, don't take "dealer bashing" to seriously. Your sensitivity may have been on " RED ALERT", but there's no need to decipher and decode my posts to find anything evil to rebel with. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

If your at all willing, please do tell me more about the TIB about this issue. Maybe this has something to do with this? ----> https://landroverforums.com/m_7286/tm.htm I don't think they are related (separate noise), but what do I know, I'm not an auto mechanic...

[sm=thanx.gif]
Daniel

Old 11-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Bait did not get out of line in any way. The dealer will not usally go around looking for a sound like that, basicly tell them to fix it or live with it is the way it works. Do you know how many people complain about noises in there car to the dealer, its actually overwhelming, like the people that buy a 3/4 ton truck fully loaded and come into the dealer and say "it rides rough, not like my car at all and this truck is 5 years newer than my car" what do you honstly expect to hear from a dealer about it, what would you say when you are asked to see if you hear a squeak by prolly an avg. of 10 customers a day and you know there is nothing you can do without pulling it in for a few hours and pulling apart everything for a squeak the customer is prolly not gonna wanna pay for? I fully understand where you are coming from, but you are asking for help on theis board yet you have it narrowed down to the pass. side dash, whats stopping you from fixing it, lack of ability to do it (no offense, cause i am sure you can handle doing it) or lack of wanting to pay what it is going to cost to have it done at the dealer.

I am not trying to get at you, just an observatin and hopefuly helpful info. No hard feelings, and I belive i can say the same for bait too.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

oh yea if you think I am out of line here just say so, I have no problem.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:03 AM
Nux
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: mikemeyer0

don't ask for a quick look, take it in and have it fixed, or do it yourself, if your like me and know how to work on cars and can't afford a dealer). also my buddy is a mechanic for a GM dealer, they may make good money but they only get paid for hours they flag not hours they are at the dealer, he usally flags 75% of the actual hours he is there on a good good week. IF you ask to have it fixed it will get fixed, if you ask to take a look, there just gonna look, and you can't hear a noise by looking. I am guessing it is an easy fix, pull dash apart and find rubbing or "shim it" lol.
Mike, I have 6 good friends that are mechanics (2 of them for GM, the others private). I understand what you guys are talking about. This is none of my concern though, that's for them to take it up with the dealer who employs them. If they are told by their superiors to take if for a drive and have a listen, then shouldn't they get paid for what their employer asks?Get this, the dealer billed and unnecessary 3.5 hours for a 2.5 hour job. I wouldn't care if they billed 100 hours, since it was a recall and not out of my pocket. I was a POTENTIAL new customer, and the extremely attractive girl I dealt with at the service desk was asked by me to have their mechanics to check it out. It's not like I asked the guy myself to do this.
I'm also guessing it's an easy fix, but until I dissect my dash, I thought it wound't hurt to ask to have a "tech" look it over. You would think it's the dealers advantage to find problems. AT least my friends that work at GM tell me this. It's obvious.

Anyway, i'd be glad to discuss this nonsense further with anyone in the "Off Topic" section, as Bait suggested. Mike, I do my own work on my vehicles. Actually i've only ever taken my vehicles into a garage to have emission tests done (BS that Canadians have to deal with) and alignments. I still don't think it's just plastic rubbing, it's too coarse of a sound. when time permits, I'll get the sawzall out and see whats making that noise. jk

I think Bait is employed by LR. I don't know what dealer, but if it's as filled with Yummy gorgeous women working there like the dealer I was at, then I dunno... I guess I would go ***** crazy defending it too.

Quick Reply: Annoying noise...