Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another basic speaker replacement thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by justinthorpe
You have some options. The speaker surrounds are foam and disintegrate. You can get generic repair kits from Partsexpress to replace the surrounds.
Second option, you can still get OME replacements speakers but at a huge cost,
Third options the mids in the front doors are the same used in BMW E46 (poss E36 as well) with some trimming will fit into the original Land Rover mid enclosures, or places like Bavsound have new uprated mids which you could use. The BMW may also have the door woofers and tweeters as well, I have not checked this out.
This is presuming you are keeping the original HK amp
Do you have a year for those BMW? I saw another post (maybe yours in another thread) about them and would like more mid range. I've 3dprinted some adapters to put the MTX Terminator6S tweeters I to the upper door holes and it sounds better than it did with dead speakers. If I can get some mids back in there I think I'd be happier.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Cool thread! As my stereo seems to be working just fine with a new aftermarket head unit and all the OEM HK stuff, it’s not a priority, but this as me thinking: does anyone know what the crossover points for each of the components are?

Generally, OEM stuff is made to a price point, and these days getting higher end stuff in there isn’t particularly expensive or difficult I wouldn’t think. However, in my case, I’d like to know what those values are to see about how I would do it should I decide to change things out. Ideally I’d really like to get a scoshe more bass (just making them work a bit harder) out of the tailgate drivers (that I’ve already replaced) and perhaps some clearer highs and mids. However, I don’t think that’s an option with the OEM amp.

But before I’d even think about going down any of those roads, it would be nice to know what the OEM crossover points are for the existing speakers.

My head unit has front, rear, and sub preouts, but the adapter harness from Crutchfield only uses front and rear, so I know I can’t do much from that perspective until I either separate those out and run direct connections to the amp, or just get a more appropriate 6 channel amp. But if I do that, I’m totally off to the races, and again, have a bunch of other priorities in the mean time.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandman614
Do you have a year for those BMW? I saw another post (maybe yours in another thread) about them and would like more mid range. I've 3dprinted some adapters to put the MTX Terminator6S tweeters I to the upper door holes and it sounds better than it did with dead speakers. If I can get some mids back in there I think I'd be happier.
The Harmon Kardon was an option on both the E46 sedan and coupe. The BMW build code for that option was S674A.
BAV sound sell upgrade kits for this model - https://www.bavsound.com/pages/build...?preselect=BMW
I dont know if they would sell the speakers individually, but would be the best option if wanting to keep the sound system original.