Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New upper door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 02:19 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New upper door speakers

Hey y'all! I know there have been many posts about this, but I never seem to find what people actually ended up using. My D2 has the HK sound system and my passenger door upper speaker is blown. The pillar and lower are fine. What speakers have you all decided to go with to replace it? I know nothing, to my knowledge, is a direct replacement. I'm okay with fabrication to make a mount. May I ask what make/models you guys have used and know work well in the upper door? Since I'm going to be in there anyway, what have you used in the lower door?

I'd like to try to keep the same or similar sound field they created using the 8-speaker amp/setup, but if you just used two or three-way lower door speakers to nullify the upper door, how do you feel about it? Thanks!

Old 02-14-2020, 06:07 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by deodra
Hey y'all! I know there have been many posts about this, but I never seem to find what people actually ended up using. My D2 has the HK sound system and my passenger door upper speaker is blown. The pillar and lower are fine. What speakers have you all decided to go with to replace it? I know nothing, to my knowledge, is a direct replacement. I'm okay with fabrication to make a mount. May I ask what make/models you guys have used and know work well in the upper door? Since I'm going to be in there anyway, what have you used in the lower door?

I'd like to try to keep the same or similar sound field they created using the 8-speaker amp/setup, but if you just used two or three-way lower door speakers to nullify the upper door, how do you feel about it? Thanks!
Check out Crutchfield.com. I just upgraded my head unit to the jenson vx4014 so I can use apple carplay, they put everything together for you for a good price and they do the same with the speakers. I don’t know any specifics for you but I would check that out to get an idea.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

Crutchfield doesn’t have any drop in replacements for the rear tweeters, they are all labeled as “modified fit.” I’m in the same boat and have a spare set of (cheap) pioneer 6-1/2” two ways that I think I’m just going to drop in the rear doors and ignore the non-functioning tweeters.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I had replaced my rear sub speakers with a set of Alpines that came with a pair of tweeters. When the rear passenger door tweeters blew, I ended up using the tweeters that came in the Alpine kit. Perfect fit-and you can adjust the direction. I replaced the front door tweeters with a set from Parts Direct.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 841 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Roustabout
I replaced the front door tweeters with a set from Parts Direct.
Do you have specifics you can share about this? A link?

Old 02-16-2020, 09:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Sorry... it is parts express. https://www.parts-express.com/

I'll see if I can find the specific speaker I used.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:39 AM
Three Wheeling

These were the upper front door speakers;
264-1126 2 EA Tymphany TC6FD00-04 2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer 4 Ohm 9.50.
If I remember correctly, the only mod I had to do was trim a little bit of that yellow styrofoam inside the door skin.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:05 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, everyone!!! Crutchfield is usually my go-to, but after speaking to them on the phone a few times, they told me that they no options or recommendations for the upper door speakers. Y'all are a wealth of info! I've taken one out to look at it and had some ideas as to mounting, but wanted to wait to see what y'all had to say. Thanks much!!

Old 12-06-2022, 01:49 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
BMW E46 and think E36 use the same mid range, the BMW frame just needs some trimming and will fit the Disco mid plastic "can"