Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another blown headgasket story

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 11:49 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another blown headgasket story

Hi guys and gals,

I have a 2002 Disco that I bought for around $1000, this is my second one so I know the drill. Working on slowly replacing all parts that are broken and I've been getting a little more concerned about the headgasket failure on the front driver side. I only drive about 4 miles a day total so I'm not stressed over it too much.

I've been calling around shops in the Cedar Rapids area and none will touch the car. Ones that do give me an "I don't want to do this job" price. I had one shop say they'd rebuild the whole engine or do an engine swap, sounds out of budget. I'd love to drive this one like I used to drive my old one, 2 to 4 hour road trips in the hill country.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice? Located in Iowa.

Old 02-27-2024, 12:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm in the middle of doing mine and after working on German cars, this one is super easy haha. There are a ton of great write ups and videos for it. No special tools or timing either

It's also super satisfying to clean and replace every single gasket on the way back out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Roont:
ahab (02-27-2024), WaltNYC (02-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Roont, yep I did the first one with my father in law and could probably manage to do it myself this go around. I just wanted a shop to do it for the warranty/liability and peace of mind.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:51 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

Try find a shop that does classics cars,these are bone stupid pushrod V8's. They used teach us how do head gaskets in Jr. high school on iron block v8s pushrod v8's nearly 50 years ago same basic job.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:02 PM
TReK
Received 525 Likes on 455 Posts

If you take your time and stay organized you’ll probably do a better job than a shop.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:07 PM
Drifting

I hate when you guys are right… I’m just dreading it

The following users liked this post:
Roont (02-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 03:48 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is one other upside to doing the project yourself. With they money you'll save (and it will be a considerable amount) you will be able to justify purchasing a couple more tools. A valve seat cutter, for example... which leads me to ask: would anyone happen to know the stem diameter on an intake valve (or exhaust) for the 4.0 motor? Maybe the Neway kit for D2,s is worth splurging for, but knowing the diameter (seven millimeter?) in advance would give me some other options. Glad for your thoughts...

Old 02-27-2024, 04:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by rob bartleman
there is one other upside to doing the project yourself. With they money you'll save (and it will be a considerable amount) you will be able to justify purchasing a couple more tools. A valve seat cutter, for example... which leads me to ask: would anyone happen to know the stem diameter on an intake valve (or exhaust) for the 4.0 motor? Maybe the Neway kit for D2,s is worth splurging for, but knowing the diameter (seven millimeter?) in advance would give me some other options. Glad for your thoughts...
This has alway been my go to. Even if I have to do a job twice no way is the cost of tools and parts going to add up to a shop labor charge ( I do have a shop do my front end alignment, my time and their shop rate crossed over several years ago).

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 188 Likes on 167 Posts

Maybe drop in a pack of six GM leak stop tablets, and run with the pressure cap loose. That should dry it up in no time. Then you can tackle the harder job as time and motivation allow.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZo
Maybe drop in a pack of six GM leak stop tablets, and run with the pressure cap loose. That should dry it up in no time. Then you can tackle the harder job as time and motivation allow.

is this something you’ve done before? Can I get more info?

Quick Reply: Another blown headgasket story