Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another D2 with a P0101 error code

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default another D2 with a P0101 error code

Hi guys, I've done some searching on the site and have found 1 similar issue but there wasn't a fix reported on the thread.

Current state: replaced MAF with new Bosch part. replaced air box top (was broken), stock, new, air filter.
I get the P0101 immediately at startup. Before i start looking for air leaks between the air box and the throttle body are there any other likely suspects ? One caviat i haven't put the truck through "drive cycle C" yet to see if the previous codes show back up again.

Previous state: broken airbox lid, unknown age of the MAF. Truck would throw P0101 P0505 P1174 and P1171 error codes. Additionally, on occasion (twice) the truck would "hunt" revs on a cold start, settling down to a smooth idle once the truck was running for a couple of minutes.

I need to get the dammed thing through smog so i can register it (bought it from out of state) so what may have been an annoying ****le before has turned into a major hassle.

I have zero experience with Rovers, (or cars in general). I've rebuilt a couple of air cooled motorcycles, but those are much simpler beasts than my Disco !

Old 03-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Did you replace the entire MAF or just the internals, did the replace have the exact part numbers?
If you need to trouble shoot the problem, look in the Rave manual and ther is a write up on the MAS, its function and how to test it.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for your reply Mike.
I replaced the entire MAF with this part from Atlantic British
Mass Air Flow Sensor (MHK100800OEM Same Fit As Part # MHK100800) - Land Rover sensors from Atlantic British

I'll go dig into the RAVE some this afternoon. I saw that theres at least some part of it that requires a windows filesystem. Is there a PDF version or something that lets me read the RAVE on a mac?

Old 03-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Look in my signature for a pdf on line version section by section.

saw this for that code:

Ratio of throttle position to mass of air flow
the calculated throttle angle must be outside limits when the engine speed is between 800 rev/min and 4000 rev/min, the engine load is between 2 and 6.5 and the coolant temperature is above -10°C (14°F).

So your reported air flow is not matching what the TPS sensor and some quick math by the ECU think it should be. So sensor(s), vac leak (also called unmetered air), dirty electrcal plug connections, etc.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-02-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks guys!
I'm looking through the pdf right now. very helpful.

so looks like the plan needs to be
1: check for vacuum leaks after the MAF
2: check/replace the TP Sensor

I've also noticed some "interesting" behavior in downshifting and the light bulb didn't go on that the two could be related.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Administrator

I run the Rave on my old Mac with no problem, it is all in how you down load it.
Some people are loading it onto a flash drive that they keep in the glove box so they have it when needed.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:13 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Wonder if they sold you a returned MAF?

Engine Code: p0101

Land Rover Engine Code: P0101 = Mass Airflow Circuit Range - Performance Problem

Click to Process more Land Rover Engine Codes here

Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

quick update. I spoke with Atlantic British, they've only ever had 1 MAF returned so it's most likely not an issue with the MAF itself.

I have a TP sensor on the way, meantime i'll continue looking for vacuum leaks. Everything appears to be sealed tight between the MAf and the throttle body. next stop a smoke test i think !

Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

another update. I still have the code and can't get the truck through smog. (need to register it in state).

I installed the TP sensor, didn't solve. Called Atlantic British. They're great. They're sending me a new MAF to switch out the one that they sent me previously. Meanwhile there are still no noticeable vacuum leaks apparent anywhere from the airbox to the throttle body.

So, IF the new MAF does not solve the problem, where's the next most logical place to start looking ?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Administrator

You need to read the Rave for the testing procedure for checking a MAF, easy to do with an OHM meter.

Quick Reply: another D2 with a P0101 error code