Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another front driveshaft broken...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another front driveshaft broken...

One of my ex-girl friends had an BMW with a rotoflex type coupling on the rear drive shaft. It vibrated kind of like what you describe, the rotoflex was falling apart, looked like a big ball of nylon strand just spinning around. So yeah it is likely your rotoflex.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Disco Mike, Is there a way to tell if my front drive shaft u-joint is good? I've not looked at mine yet but I'd like to service it before it breaks. I want to know what to look for when I get under it?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RE: The vibration at approximately 50mph:

Looked at the rotoflex tonight and it is in great shape. Intact, no missing, torn pieces etc. I lubed the grease fitting at the front end of the rear driveshaft. That took a bit of grease. Went until the rubber boot started moving.

Also, I disengaged the parking brake and tried to rotate the driveshaft. The u joints don't have any obvious movement to me. The reason I did this is because today on the way home from work I wanted to get every symptom I could find...I noted that, at a stop, when I applied the throttle and let off there would result a light clunk or clank if you want to call it that. What I found when I rotated the dshaft is that it would move a 1/4 inch (rotationally) before the clank occurred. The clank seemed to both come from the transfer case and the differential.

I'm not sure if that is normal. Sounds to me like gears contacting each other and that seems logical of course.

I'm sure there is a way to check lvls in both of them, but I am hoping that someone can dummy the process down for me a bit as it will be my first time checking these items on any car.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I should change my login to "stilldoinCPR onmy rovr"

Old 12-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Mudding

I don't know if I would totally agree with the whole CDL strategy. If you found a front shaft for $200, wheellll that sure is cheap for something you need. I have seen them for around $250-$275ish.

Time to evaluate your risk. I did as you have only to get me home. You just threw $1500 into a USED tranny, and now you are asking alot from it/your truck. Maybe I am completely off on this one, but Disco is a heavy girl. You are putting the fat girl in pumps, and sooner or later she gonna break somethin'.

Just seems kinda scary if it were mine (not to mention 6hrs).

Good luck to you Captain, and thanks for serving our country!

P.S. to your login... Didn't you know fat girls love CPR?[:-]

Old 12-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: mordor110

Disco Mike, Is there a way to tell if my front drive shaft u-joint is good? I've not looked at mine yet but I'd like to service it before it breaks. I want to know what to look for when I get under it?
Nick,
D1's don't have the same drive shaft issues as do the D1's. How often do you grease your u-joints?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: cptshanman

Looked at the rotoflex tonight and it is in great shape. Intact, no missing, torn pieces etc. I lubed the grease fitting at the front end of the rear driveshaft. That took a bit of grease. Went until the rubber boot started moving.

Also, I disengaged the parking brake and tried to rotate the driveshaft. The u joints don't have any obvious movement to me. The reason I did this is because today on the way home from work I wanted to get every symptom I could find...I noted that, at a stop, when I applied the throttle and let off there would result a light clunk or clank if you want to call it that. What I found when I rotated the dshaft is that it would move a 1/4 inch (rotationally) before the clank occurred. The clank seemed to both come from the transfer case and the differential.

I'm not sure if that is normal. Sounds to me like gears contacting each other and that seems logical of course.

I'm sure there is a way to check lvls in both of them, but I am hoping that someone can dummy the process down for me a bit as it will be my first time checking these items on any car.

I should change my login to "stilldoin CPR onmy rovr"
Most Rovers have the klunk in their power train when getting on and off the gas, so all you need to do is make sure that all 4 U-joints are greased every 12,000 milesand every 24,000 miles grease the slip shaft that has a so your splines don't bind up like a pretsile.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: mordor110

Nick,
D1's don't have the same drive shaft issues as do the D1's. How often do you grease your u-joints?
Mike,

I've never done it yet. I've only covered 2000 miles in it since I got it so far and I'll have had it a year in Jan. It's more of a toy/back up vehicle for me. I'm planning on checking the drive shafts this or next weekend. From what I can see it was well maintained by it's previous owner. Everything I've taken apart so far is well greased & very clean. I got all the history with the truck when I got it and it was dealer serviced on time & regularlyall the way up to 105K miles. It just rolled over 127K

Old 12-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: cptshanman

I should change my login to "stilldoin CPR onmy rovr"
Most Rovers have the klunk in their power train when getting on and off the gas, so all you need to do is make sure that all 4 U-joints are greased every 12,000 milesand every 24,000 miles grease the slip shaft that has a so your splines don't bind up like a pretsile.

Hmm yeah I was wondering about that "clank" especially as I have a manual trans.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Mudding

Well guys, if I don't post tonight then you'll know I'm on the side of the road somewhere. The shop is going to UPS the front ds to me when they get done...otherwise, when I get to MD I'm going to check into taking the one off the '94 D1 (that is not being used right now) and install it on the D2. Guess that brings another question...are they compatible?

...on the road again...I can't wait to get on the road again...

Wish me luck!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Mudding

Safe and sound...
Very interesting morning. Truck was loaded up and I was heading to pick up my little one for the trip north. The machine shop that has the driveshaft calls and the guy says "I overheard you talking to your friend that you were about to go on a long trip...so I went ahead and fixed you up...you can come pick up your driveshaft." This was one of the folks from "Motor Parts and Machine Company" in Fayetteville, NC.

What initiative and thoughtfullness. I am very impressed by them. When I got there they lined up a shop about a block away to install the driveshaft, the mechanic was waiting for me. He needed to replace the four bolts...within minutes the truck from CarQuest was on site with the replacement bolts.

Total bill for driveshaft rebuild $225.92 (with fancy grease zerts where there used to be none, yay!). Total bill for mechanic to install driveshaft $17 and something cents.

Left the shop and immediately got on the highway north. Right now I'm writing you guys from Maryland! So there's our "feel good" story for the day. I only wish I could do something now to help those couple of folks who recently posted that they were broken down somewhere...I know how that feels!

Transmission, driveshaft issue = complete. Now on to the next challenge! Thanks guys for all of your help. DiscoMike you are the man. Thank you especially. All the advice from everyone has been appreciated!
Shannon