Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Driveshaft? and Water Dripping Near Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Good Driveshaft? and Water Dripping Near Driveshaft

I've been going through Disco Mike's Major Service suggestions and I understand the driveshaft is an important one. If I'm not mistaken the factory driveshaft only had a single grease fitting and this was no good? I identified 3 grease points total on my driveshaft, 2 here:

And there was another on the opposite side. Is this the good driveshaft that probably just needs to be greased?

While I was under there I noticed water dripping which appeared to be running down some tubing. This was on the driver side round-bouts the transmission:

Old 04-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

It's serviceable. You should also check to see if there is a flush mount greasable port on the centering ball. You will need a needle fitting on the grease gun to grease that one, if you have it.

Not sure about the water from your photo.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Winching

Thanks, the water is probably nothing, I just wasnt sure since it was following that tubing if it was something to look into further.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:43 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The driveshaft looks pretty good. It has the grease fitting so you are better off in stock. The water you're seeing is coming from a drain. Think it's from the AC System. I don't know why they decided to put it there, but that's where it's coming from

The following users liked this post:
robert.juric (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Tons of good info in this recent thread:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ft-care-72587/

Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

For the OP, I take it the vehicle is new to you.
Skim this post, https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...02/#post164811 but pay particular attention to the maintenance section near the end of it.
Since you don't know the lubrication history of the propshaft it would be a good idea to remove it and move all three of the u-joints through their full range of motion by hand and make sure there is no binding.
When a u-joint begins to seize up from lack of lubrication there's no way to tell with the propshaft installed.
I'd do the same with the rear.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Winching

If I pull it off and it appears as if the range of motion is limited, would I be able to re-install it until a replacement could arrive? I don't want to have my DD out of commission too long.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you have a locking CDL you can leave it out and still drive,

Old 04-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric
If I pull it off and it appears as if the range of motion is limited, would I be able to re-install it until a replacement could arrive? I don't want to have my DD out of commission too long.
If a u-joint is binding reinstalling the propshaft depends on how quick you can get a replacement, how much you drive and how much you value your transmission.
Binding is a sign of impending failure and a failure of the front shaft while driving is typically catastrophic, often knocking a hole in the transmission. I wouldn't do it.
As mentioned, if you have CDL just leave it out and lock the diff and drive it like that.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:49 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
If a u-joint is binding reinstalling the propshaft depends on how quick you can get a replacement, how much you drive and how much you value your transmission.
Binding is a sign of impending failure and a failure of the front shaft while driving is typically catastrophic, often knocking a hole in the transmission. I wouldn't do it.
As mentioned, if you have CDL just leave it out and lock the diff and drive it like that.
I know this thread is seven years old, but I’m finding information as I’m doing some searching for answers.

If the front drive shaft is the one causing the vibrations, shuttering, etc. Would locking the center diff confirm it’s the front if all the issues stop when diff is locked?

In other words, if it were the rear would I still feel all of those issues even with the diff locked?

Hoping I could rule out whether or not it’s the front or the rear before having to crawl up under there with a really bad back.

Quick Reply: Good Driveshaft? and Water Dripping Near Driveshaft