Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Frt Drive Shaft toast

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Frt Drive Shaft toast

Mine lasted for 230000 miles, yeah. The disco is not engaging into gear with the shaft removed. Does this mean I have more problems? If I install the new shaft will it suddenly engage? Also, there is a flange behind the shaft that prevents me from being able to remove the bolts after removing the nuts. Can that be removed?? 2001 disco II

Any input on this would be great, thanks rover peeps.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You can remove the flange. If you can lock your T-case you can drive with just the rear shaft but is not recommended for any real length of time. 2001 may have the nipple on the top of the t-case, but some will not. Output flange nut is around 30mm.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Oh no, you sheared off the flux capacitor!

Not really, you just don't have a locking CDL, so with shaft removed the transfer case sends all power to the open shaft, and you are going no where. Guys with a CDL, or the spud (you may have it) can engage CDL and drive on just two rear wheels while repairs are made.

Here's a pix of the spud, and a pix of what can happen with a shaft that has busted loose at speed and beat the living daylights out of the tranny that was just along minding its own business.

Attached Thumbnails Another Frt Drive Shaft toast-zjtah.jpg   Another Frt Drive Shaft toast-tranny%2520hole_02.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

no need to replace the bolts only the nuts; unless they are damaged.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just as impressed that your rover has lasted 230,000 miles!

Have you also made sure it didn't bust the transmission when it broke? If you're able to lock your cdl then you can drive a long time without a front drive shaft if you don't have the $300+ to spend on it at the moment. I've driven over 3,000miles with no front shaft.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear
Default Locked the Trans Case

You guys are amazing. ZGPhoto, thanks for the info. You guys eased my mind on the whole thing. I locked the T Case and she works great. Thanks to Savannah Buzz for the pics. I used them to reach up blind with a small adjustable wrench and engaged the lock no problem. She is back on the road. I can drive it now to go buy new bolts for newly rebuilt, servicable cardon drive shaft. Thanks for the words Drowssap, your vehicle list is amazing and Madlands I had no damage due to the fact that I was stopped at Fedex when it happened. I stopped the vehicle, put in reverse and bam, bam, bam. Drive shaft was toast. I wasn't even moving. I have had this Rover since new in 2001. She has now become a project. It has several leaks and needs a new radiator. My Harmon Kardon stereo just died and two doors will not lock with electric lock. I need a new headliner. I love this rover and it was the last year with glass headlights. I expect to go at least another 200,000 miles.

Thanks, Jamie

Old 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

re: I expect to go at least another 200,000 miles.

How about a few of your thoughts about oil & filter brand and type; frequency of oil change, other fluid changes; coolant flush interval, and other things you have repaired?

As for the lock, you can install a CDL shifter; and I recall one pix a guy did with a socket stuck on top of that spud, and a short socket extension thru a hole drilled in the console.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 PM
3rd Gear
Default re: Maintenance up to 230000

It was dealer service until 50K, nothing major except one recall on the piston rings. It was under warranty. I changed the oil every 5K to 7.5K miles. Changed the coolant at 125000. I replaced all of the plastic coolant piping with rubber hoses at around 125K as well. Brakes normal, I had the three amigos problem and followed an on line guide to correct that. My check engine light has been a royal pain, because of a malfunctioning gas purge valve issue. I attribute my engine mileage to Motor Silk. I just happen to know the scientist that invented it. It is a once every one hundred thousand mile engine oil treatment that is awesome. Boron technology invented for jet engines but fails in zero gravity. Works great in "greater than zero" gravity. You will get 5 to 10 percent better fuel economy and the engine will run more smoothly on low octane fuel. My kids always break the back seat drink holder and I always buy a sixty dollar new one. I replaced all the mats and the center console mat. My steering wheel cover is toast and I put an after market cover on.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 222000 on my 99 . It has been everywhere and done everything. Never had 3 amigos ( at least until I wrote it down) I have done head gaskets myself had a new headliner for $250 start to finish Front shaft bla bla bla etc etc. This has been the best vehicle i have owned.
I finally stopped all the leaks even the sunroof, Then diff oil hemorrhaging from the wheel. Oh well , I just bought a spare a 2004 . Nor sure what to do about the steering wheel cover, That one has me stumped???

Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Motor Silk - sounds like another un-resistable snake oil that I must try...

Quick Reply: Another Frt Drive Shaft toast