Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Head Gasket Job

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Another Head Gasket Job

So I got this little project underway this weekend. I have to say, after reading all of the horror stories on this forum I was not looking forward to this but it hasn't been too bad so far.

A little history on the truck. I am the 4th owner. Before I bought this truck, Owner 2 had the short block replaced under warranty. This is a good thing as the company making the blocks by that time were doing a far better job than LR. The truck had about 67k on it at that time. I spoke with the person that was the owner of the truck when the work was done and I was told that the heads were redone at that time and that it was reassembled by one of the best mechanics in the industry. The guy worked at a dealership so I was a little skeptical but the truck ran great. It used about 1/4 inch of coolant every 2 weeks or so. Recently, that jumped dramatically. I found that the hoses to the heater plate were leaking but during the search I saw evidence of leaks elsewhere and it looked to be the at the ends of the heads. I also had leaking valve covers, and a leak from the valley gasket, and I needed to do the wires so I figured screw it, do it all.

I pulled the heads after about 5 hours of work. Because I had done the cooling fan and power steering pump not too long ago, those came off easily. I also have the advantage of air tools although I needed to use a breaker bar for many of the head bolts. Interesting how they all seemed to be at different tensions. Some came right of, some were a bit of work. I had a manifold bolt that was finger tight too. The other manifold bolts didn't seen very consistent either. My copy of RAVE shows one torque for all of them but maybe that ace dealer mechanic knows something I don't.

I was amazed at the inside of the engine. Wish the outside looked even a little bit as nice. This is after about 53,000 miles. It had Mobil 1 in it when I bought it which was about 15,000 miles after it was installed. I used Castrol Syntec once then switched to Rotella synthetic after that. Also check out the cross-hatch on the cylinders. Looks like this block has some life left in it. Here are some pictures of what looks like some of my lost coolant too.

Attached Thumbnails Another Head Gasket Job-drivers-side.jpg   Another Head Gasket Job-passenger-side.jpg   Another Head Gasket Job-rockers.jpg   Another Head Gasket Job-lifter-valley.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

That's a clean one and I can see the cross-hatching from here!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to do my head gaskets also a couple of years ago and it wasn't bad as long as you have the patience and follow the torque specs. Good luck on completing the job.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
That's a clean one and I can see the cross-hatching from here!
It's crazy, isn't it? The inside is spotless. But look at how much crap is on the front of the engine from the leaking valve covers, valley pan and head gaskets. What a freakin' mess! I think all the time will be in cleaning up the outside. I pulled the water pump and will be yanking the pan and timing cover tomorrow. New oil pump, timing chain and water pump going in also.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I was told that the heads were redone at that time and that it was reassembled by one of the best mechanics in the industry.

One of two and the other one lives in my hometown. Had my heads redone almost a year ago - was an emotional experience for me. I walked out into the garage tonight and stood there looking around in disbelief that almost a year ago the garage floor was littered with parts. Time certainly does fly by. It's amazing how the haunting smell of grease and car parts can make a grown woman cry. Best of luck to you - it sounds like you have a good handle on things.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm sure you'll remember but, just a reminder. When putting it back together...set the head gaskets on, set the heads on, set valley rubbers and old gasket on, set the lower intake on, start and snug up the four corner lower intake bolts, then torque the heads down, then remove the lower intake to put your new rubbers and gasket on.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
I'm sure you'll remember but, just a reminder. When putting it back together...set the head gaskets on, set the heads on, set valley rubbers and old gasket on, set the lower intake on, start and snug up the four corner lower intake bolts, then torque the heads down, then remove the lower intake to put your new rubbers and gasket on.
Not sure I would have done that. I was thinking I needed to set the manifold in to help align the heads but using the old gasket makes sense. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:45 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

When putting it back together...set the head gaskets on, set the heads on, set valley rubbers and old gasket on, set the lower intake on, start and snug up the four corner lower intake bolts, then torque the heads down, then remove the lower intake to put your new rubbers and gasket on.

good idea, i didn't do any of it, put the heads on torqued them, then went the upper and lower intakes.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
When putting it back together...set the head gaskets on, set the heads on, set valley rubbers and old gasket on, set the lower intake on, start and snug up the four corner lower intake bolts, then torque the heads down, then remove the lower intake to put your new rubbers and gasket on.

good idea, i didn't do any of it, put the heads on torqued them, then went the upper and lower intakes.
X2... That is a good idea to make sure everything will line up perfect. I didn't do that either and everything has been great for 67K miles (knock on wood), but it's not a bad idea at all.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jared9220
X2... That is a good idea to make sure everything will line up perfect. I didn't do that either and everything has been great for 67K miles (knock on wood), but it's not a bad idea at all.
Plus it will keep me from dropping stuff in the lifter valley while I'm struggling to torque the head bolts!

Quick Reply: Another Head Gasket Job