Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Head Gasket Job

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
The shortblock was replaced 2 owners ago by LR under warranty, the heads were original but appear to have been cleaned up at that time. I say that because several of the valve springs were installed upside down (they're progressive). Shows you what you can get from a dealer head gasket job.

"Has you revved it like that again under load and got the same thing? wondering if they took more than a skim on the heads and you needed shims under the rocker posts? did you check the lifter pre-load?"

Never noticed it before but I don't think I ever stood on it like that before. The shop only machined off a tiny amount, this guy is really good. You should see this cracked flathead Cadillac head he did a stich repair on. This guy's an artist. He spent $40k for his surface mill. I didn't check the preload as he only took off about 0.0020" and the heads looked like they had never been machined before so I felt I wouldn't likely exceed the tolerance. My guess is some of the grease and vasoline made it by the bypass in the filter and got to the lifters and then had a hard time flowing out. It's runny beautifully since then so I'm not worried
Hope so, it would not be good to find out when passing a semi on a two lane and need those extra rpm's to get back in.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
My guess is some of the grease and vasoline made it by the bypass in the filter and got to the lifters and then had a hard time flowing out. It's runny beautifully since then so I'm not worried[/SIZE]
I was wondering if putting a large amount of vaseline in the motor would be a good idea or not. Is it better than grease for these kinds of things?

Old 09-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by evoblade
I was wondering if putting a large amount of vaseline in the motor would be a good idea or not. Is it better than grease for these kinds of things?
It's really not a large amount. a few tablespoons that ends up diluted into 6qts of oil and it's petroleum jelly so no biggy on that.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 09-29-2014 at 03:27 PM.