Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another issue and only 3 weeks into ownership Now Shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another issue and only 3 weeks into ownership Now Shocks!

Okay I have had my discovery series I 1994 for 3 weeks
I have been hearing a noise underneath so it being Saturday I crawled under it
and the Left front shock is loose at the bottom mount...

I tried to hand tighten and the the whole thing just turns....
Also there is oil all over the power steering pump on that side

&R#@#%#@@!!!!!!

So Far $500 in parts and labor and I have owned it for 3 weeks What the HE**

Is the shock still good? I saw the whole assembly spinning when I turned it inside the spring
BOTH BOTTOM NUT AND TOP MOUNT ARE TIGHT

Any ideas if I need to replace what is my cheapest way out.... This was supposed to be a daily driver that
I would spend minimal money on but so far it is more than a new car payment at this rate

What brand if I need to replace super cheap I could care less about premium performance this just gets me to work and back

Thanks all

Old 11-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Another issue and only 3 weeks into ownership Now Shocks!

Wow. You bought a 13 year old Land Rover as a daily driver and minimal cost? I hate to be the one to tell you this, but there is nothing minimally cheap for a Land Rover. If you're mechanically inclined you may be able to do a lot yourself, but expect to spend some time with your new truck!

I get most of my parts from roverparts.com (Atlantic British). Do a search for parts and you will see a bunch of websites pop up that sell used parts. Shouldn't be too hard to find for a 96. Good luck and by the way, you found the best resource for question right here...these guys know everything there is to know anout LR's.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Drifting

Sorry I didnt mean to sound whiny LOL

I love the truck and have already replaced the Serpentine belt etc in the driveway
Have tools and am mechanically Inclined (I manage a body shop)

But just venting LOL - British vehicle panic attack

I love the car and now my girlfriend even wants an LR3

I just need help and advice is all....
Not upset or disillusioned at all it is a great truck and needs
at worst a pair of shocks right now to get it moving

Old 11-03-2007, 08:46 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they're factory shocks you'll want to go aftermarket anyway. To tell if they're any good you really need to bounce test them. If they're factory springs same applies they'll be worn out by now.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I hate to doubt your skills, but if you can't tell if the shock is any good when you've gotthe thingin your hands, and complain about it costing you a bunch of money (shocks are wear items) ...and a power steering leak ...you're going to be in for a very bumpy ride with this rig.Any1994 vehicle is going to need ongoing maintenance and repair, but a L/R will be a lot more. And the parts will cost you more, in general. Ifthings like bad shocks scare you, I suggest you sell it and getsomething more mainstream like a Jeep Grand Cherokee orTrailblazer.If you keep it, this forum will be a big help for you.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Drifting

I tell all my friends this.....You should only buya Land Rover because you have always wanted one and don't care much about anything else. Either you are a Enthusiast or you will become an enthusiast as an owner because you will be reading multiple websites to find out what the heck is wrong with your vehicle. I love my rover but it is my 3rd car so I can afford to have it sit in the garage until I get to work on it which is half the fun for me. In the last 3 months I have already spent a couple of grand.....exhaust, butterfly valve, plugs/wires, full synthetic fluid change,belts, hoses, ARB, wheels, 02 Sensors... and I have enjoyed every last dollar. I look at it as something to do rather than going bar hopping or golfing! Good luck with the shocks...Atlantic British has a decent sale on Bilsteins right now.

Cheers,

Chris

Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic above, just realistic. I could come up with a long list of issues you may encounter with any 1994 vehicle. Land Rovers seem to be worse. You might get lucky and the person before you replaced most of the wear items, but chances are you will be doing a lot of that.

Anyway, have fun with it and sell it if it starts getting to you, or maybe you'll enjoy doing the maintenance on it and become a big supporter.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Hey,
Bottom line, you have a 15 year old Disco, like any other 4wheeler of that age, you bought it cheap and it will need some up grades to get out and play with the big boys, but boy it will b worth it.
For what it is worth, after I bought my 99 D2 5 plus years ago I put in excess of $9000 into it and it still goes where ever I point it with out any issues.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Drifting

Okay we crawled underneath it today at my buddy's house and here is what we found.

Left Front Spring is Different than the Right Front Spring and there is 1/2 " Ride Height difference between each side. The Left front Spring actually has more coils. So at some point the genius before me swapped out with whatever was laying around.

I am going to change out both Front Springs and Shocks and report back.

I appreciate the help

Old 11-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I would suggest going a step farther, by replacing the front springs with lets say a set of Old Man Emu coils and springs, you are going to lift the front end by about 2"s leaving the rear looking a little sagging.
One of the best places on line to buy what you need is at Cerrones/ LRRFourms, give Tony a call tell him what your thinking and let him help you. He can be reached at 650-365-4145.
Good luck,