Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another O2 Sensor code P0130

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Updated & seems fixed: Another O2 Sensor code P0130

Recently because of the minor accident my wife was in our rover needed a new Drivers side O2. The dealer changed it & all codes went away for a few days. Now Wed a pending alert on my Ultragauge showed up on Wed & a few hrs later a full code popped up P0130.

I have read as many post as I can find so now Im trying to figure best way to start working on issue.

1. I know I have a small leak on the Throttle Body Heater Plate although I can't see that the leak has even dripped on the wiring for the sensor. I have the new heater plate ready to go on now.

The new sensor has no dripping on it at all although the wiring harness plug does look a little dirty although not like it has been leaked on badly really just looks dirty from time.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how you would go about diagnosing & fixing this issue?

I do have two new O2s on hand so I can replace them if necessary although I just don't want to start throwing parts at it which is what I have read in many post I shouldn't do.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mcgyver210; 03-13-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Three Wheeling

if the dealer did it i would ask them to fix it.

you can bypass that heater plate i believe. do you have the rave manual yet? i'm sure its in there.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by echomike
if the dealer did it i would ask them to fix it.

you can bypass that heater plate i believe. do you have the rave manual yet? i'm sure its in there.
Yes I have the Rave but I also have the new plate which I plan on installing today.

The dealer is really a true Stealership IMO since they immediately didn't like my after-market Wires & Plugs & tried to say all codes were because of them to my Insurance company.

After them changing the one O2 all codes went away but now the P0130 is showing so if I go to them I figure they will make some excuse & try to blame the wires & plugs again not to mention more labor charges to replace possible bad O2.

I really no longer have any trust in them since the old service manager retired.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok Guys I seem to be on the right track.

I unplugged the LH side HO2S based on the P0130 hard code & found corrosion on terminal 3 & 4. I cleaned all terminals & the plug with electronic cleaner, Q tips & a small amount of scraping. This removed almost 100% of the corrosion. I let it dry thoroughly after using some air also. Also sprayed the week old O2 installed at dealer but didn't have anything small enough to thoroughly clean it out so sprayed until it looked good.

Also I checked wires & replaced old brittle split conduit along with added some dielectric grease on the top of the plug to help the seals out a little.

Test drove it on a short 30 min trip with no hard codes but it did have a pending P0130 that never hard coded. So a mechanic fried of mine said on most vehicles it can take a few cycles for the computer to re calibrate itself after disconnection. He said drive a day or two before doing anything else to give it a chance to hard code if it is going to.

I do have more O2s if needed just don't want to use if time is what is needed.

But since rovers are far from normal thought I would ask for a few more opinions on next steps since my last day to work on this is Sunday until next weekend due to a very busy schedule this week.

I can't believe the dealer put it in with it being green with corrosion but they did & I have pics before cleaning.

Thanks

Last edited by mcgyver210; 03-13-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for all the advice I did go ahead & change both fronts & went on a test drive with no pending faults.

So what I did to fix this was:

1. Cleaned both engine side plugs with Electronic cleaner, Q-Tips & air.
2. Put Dielectric grease on plugs to help keep moisture out.
3. Put new Split conduit on wires to replace old brittle conduit.
4. Installed new LH & RH O2s
5. Test drove to test results.
6. Seems to be fixed no codes yet.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Three Wheeling

epic, thanks for posting your solution.