Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another reason to not live in California

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another reason to not live in California

I took my 2000 Landrover DiscII SD in to have its smog check today.

After waiting for 2.5 hours they tell me my vehicle is ready and that it didn't pass the test.

I ask them for details and the guy asks me is I recently had any electrical problems.

I say no but I did install a new battery on Sunday. He says "Oh that explains it".

I say "explains what"?

He says "you passed all of the emissions tests and visual tests but because you installed a new battery I can't check the monitors"

He tells me to go drive around for a few days and come back and they will re-test.

Of course, it cost me $38.00 today and the re-test fee will ONLY be $28.00.

It is crazy that my vehicle passed all emissions components but they won't issue the smog cert.

Just wanted to vent and hopefully help out any other saps stuck living in California.

DO NOT CHANGE THE BATTERY IN YOUR VEHICLE IN THE WEEK PRECEDING YOUR SMOG CHECK.

That is the end of my rant!

PS The good news is that after 110,000 miles the Disco is running like a champ!

Art

Old 09-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Cali too! Hope mine passes the test in November!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by microbc
He says "you passed all of the emissions tests and visual tests but because you installed a new battery I can't check the monitors"

He tells me to go drive around for a few days and come back and they will re-test.
What does that even mean "I can't check the monitors"....Why the heck not?! Sounds like a scam to me. Someone please explain the logic to me if I am just an idiot Is it because your computer reset?

Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Yes, I assume it is because the computer was reset. I don't understand why that should matter since each and every component of the emissions portion of the test passed.

I thought the whole point of the smog check was to make sure that I'm not polluting the environment.

So I need to drive it around for a few days to have the computer re-learn its settings and then I get the priviledge of paying the state of California for a second test.

Can you tell I'm not originally from California?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The ECU monitors every part of the truck, including the emissions system.
If you reset it you could potentially be covering up a problem.
So your check engine light is on, you reset the system, get smogged, pass, check engine light comes back on and now you are polluting more than you should because of a problem with the truck.
You must complete your drive cycle, this takes about a week or 100 miles or so, but it must include several cold starts and expressway runs.
You cant just drive it around the block a couple of times.
Drive it everyday for the next week and then take it back.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:57 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

exactly what spike said, it's there to keep people from covering up an emissions problem. It's the same here in Georgia, except emission test have come down to $15 and the re-test is free.

most vehicles have a procedure you can do to speed up the drive cycle. For my bmw it was something like drive 20 mins at 35mph, stop start several times, put car in reverse, etc..was more trouble than it was worth so I just drove it for a while and had it re-checked.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What about freeze frame data? Come to think of it though, that would be cleared by a battery disconnect as well...thank God for the Buckeye State! PLEASE let's not elect an enviro liberal...I would HATE emissions tests.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Mudding

Same thing happened to me when I bought my 04. It had a new battery put in it, When I went to DMV to get it inspected, they said everything came up "not ready", and asked if i had put a new battery in it. When I said yes, they told me to come back in 100 miles. But they don't charge you here.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi Spike,

I hear what you are saying but when they complete the test in California the printout show six different tests for emissions alone.

My truck passed each one with flying colors. From what the tech told me that is where the actual determination of whether your vehicle is polluting comes from.

He said my vehicle was not polluting based on the results.

What he said is that there are three "monitors" or pieces of information that they have to read from the ECU i9n order to have a complete pass.

My guess is that they are looking to see if there is anything thet "potentially" could cause a problem in the short term which would then cause the vehicle to pollute.

The funny part is, I live on the western line of the county I live in. If I lived 2 miles farther West I wouldn't even need to have my vehicle smogged.

It depends on where in CA you live. Cars 25 years and newer need to be smogged in some areas.

In Los Angeles I believe it is cars since 1955 and in some areas there is no smogs at all.

So if you live in rural CA they don't care if you contribute to global warming! lol!

Gotta hate the bleading heart liberals in this state.

We here in far northern CA SHOULD form our own state.....the state of Jefferson!

Google it if you are curious.

Art

Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm certainly no fan of liberals or their policies but clean air is something I think we all can agree is good. Testing isn't necessary in rural areas because the population is much less dense there.

Quick Reply: Another reason to not live in California