Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another slipped liner?

Old 09-28-2017, 05:12 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Another slipped liner?

04 D2, 122k miles
Has anyone that has had a slipped liner had no other issues besides the tapping sound?
Where the head gasket(s) did not blow?
The engine did not run hot, or overheat?
I don't doubt a sleeve can slip.
However, I cannot understand how the head gasket (s) could not fail.
The engine tick/tap I had before replacing a cracked oil pump, lifters, pushrods and rocker shafts, returned after about 5 minutes of the thermostat opening.
The noise seems to come from the bottom end, and more so on the drivers side (U.S model).
It just does not sound like a typical rod knock. It's a loud tapping, hammering, metal on metal sound.
I can replace rod and main bearings, but I'm not optomistic about that fixing it.
I am considering pinning the liners if need be. But, I have yet to figure out how to safely support the engine with the motor mounts removed. I don't want to pull the engine.
I have read it could be a cracked flexplate, but the sound doesn't change any when shifting to any gear, parked, or slowly moving.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Sixpack, I hate to say it, but, if it's a 4.6 it's more than likely the liner slipping and the only salvation to that motor is top hat liners. If the tapping/ticking speeds up with rpm's I'm sure it's the liner. Sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 06:47 PM
TReK

I'm leaning towards that myself.
But the slipping sleeve not blowing the head gasket, and no CO2 in the coolant is throwing me off.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:33 PM
TReK

If it is a slipped sleeve, and I keep this thing, I'm going to pin the sleeves. After alot of reading, it seems like a good idea. There's really nothing to lose anyway

Old 09-28-2017, 10:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

I don’t recommend pinning the sleeves. the discovery 2 block actually has stops at the bottom of the bore to prevent slipping. Slipping was primarily a problem in the earlier versions of the aluminum v8 block.
a much bigger problem on our blocks is the liner cracking into the water jacket. Flanged cylinder liners will solve both problems.. pinning the sleeves is just a stop gap measure.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Pretend I'm an idiot...how can the 2003/2004 liners slip very far since the factory pins them on the bottom end and the metal floor of the heads sits on top of them?

Old 09-29-2017, 06:39 AM
TReK

Ok, well no one mentioned the 03/04 liners being pinned from the factory. They also don't have to be to move "very far". I don't see anywhere that they are factory pinned. Only that the bottom of the sleeve sits just above a lip/ledge on the inner block. With the oil pan off, I saw no "factory pins" either.
There are also several who have claimed to have sucessfully stopped the ticking this way. Who also took flak from doubters.
If, if a sleeve can slip without blowing a head gasket, even for a short amount of time, then it is very possibe it happens.
Given the different rate that aluminum and iron expand/contract when exposed to heat, it is very possible it happens.
It will only be a matter of time before that cylinder fails.
You can keep your "pretend I'm an idiot" sarcasm too.
Your input is not constructive or appreciated.

Last edited by Sixpack577; 09-29-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:46 AM
TReK

I also see many pictures of sleeves that have dropped below the surface of the block deck. Along with a circular impression on the bottom of the head gasket.
So that proves that, yes, sleeves can slip.
How long they can slip until the head gasket blows is anyones' guess.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:51 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
I don’t recommend pinning the sleeves. the discovery 2 block actually has stops at the bottom of the bore to prevent slipping. Slipping was primarily a problem in the earlier versions of the aluminum v8 block.
a much bigger problem on our blocks is the liner cracking into the water jacket. Flanged cylinder liners will solve both problems.. pinning the sleeves is just a stop gap measure.

As said, my engine does not run hot, and there is no CO2 in the coolant.
Pinning the sleeves is a cheap fix for an otherwise hopeless situation. I'm not spending thousands for top hats and machine work, or for a long block.
These things simply aren't worth the money.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

I wasn't being sarcastic or taking digs at you, sorry. I do hope that you solve the problem, and if the '03/'04 sleeves aren't factory pinned then pinning them at the bottom after draining the oil sounds worthwhile.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (09-29-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another slipped liner?