Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another suspension thread - Disco2

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another suspension thread - Disco2

2003 Disco2 4.6L
99,987 miles

Alright before I get into my question(s) I thought I would tell you what has been done thus far to the truck.

-Tom Woods drive shafts (told him I would be lifting the truck 2-3in before he built them)
-NGK +4 plugs
-air filter
-brush guard (huge one now and will probably end up with an ARB for winch later)
-running boards (which will probably be traded for custom rock rails)
-rear light guards (top and bottom)
-safety devices roofrack (HI for dual sunroofs)
-LR roof ladder
-Linex on all guards, fender flares, brush, and ladder (this is nice)

So the tires on my 18's are about shot and I am going to order a set of 5 16x7in black steelies from B-Atlantic (or somewhere?) soon and want to figure out what tires, springs, and shocks I should get. Also, if I go about 2-3in lift what else will I need to do (i.e. brake lines, steering, dampeners, Etc).

So I was thinking about a 3" OME lift using 751 springs in the front without a winch and 763 rear springs.

1. How much lift do you guys think this will yield given what I have on the truck currently?

2. What shocks would you guys recommend?

3. What tires should I rock? (I drive gravel, mud, fire roads, water crossings, Etc) I will still have the 18's to put on when I am going for a long slab drive.

4. I probably need to replace the steering damper right?

5. Will I need to do any other mods to the truck if i run these shocks?

6. Anything I am forgetting to ask here or I should do first to a truck that's at 100k?

Once I get this all done I am going to add 4 Hella's on the roof and a work lamp on the back.

When replying keep in mind I run a single member LLC and work very hard for the money I will dump into this truck. I am looking for quality and reliability but don't need the best in the world or to take cheap shortcuts.

I have been watching and learning from this forum for months now but haven't really chimed in until now as I usually find the answers I am looking for in the search.

Thanks for all your help-

Here is the Truck (before pics-lol)

Old 06-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you go with a 2" lift you wont need to change anything other than the shocks and springs, 3" or more and you need new brake lines, replace your rotorflex with a u-joint, and all kids of other things.

A good set of A/T's will be all you need, mud tires will be noisy, wont last long and will suck in the rain and snow.
I prefer the Cooper Discdoverer S/T, others like the BFG A/T's, other like the General Grabber A/T2.
Tire choice is all up to you.
Shop around for your steelies, there are cheaper places than AB for them, just make sure that they are for a DII as the bolt pattern on a DI is different.
Your truck looks good so far, cant wait to see the rest of it.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Winching

Nice, thanks for the advice.

So do you think I would get a 2in or a 3in lift from OME springs using 751 springs in the front without a winch and 763 rear springs? Does anyone on this forum run these?

As far as tires the General Grabber A/T2's look like a good option. What size would I need for the 16x7 rims? Whats the biggest I could go without problems?

Where did you say a cheaper place to go for the rims is?

What shocks do you recommend to go with 2in+ springs in the good but reasonably priced range?

Is there anything else you think I should do to my truck at 100k miles?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer here-

Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rj95lss
2003 Disco2 4.6L
99,987 miles

Alright before I get into my question(s) I thought I would tell you what has been done thus far to the truck.

-Tom Woods drive shafts (told him I would be lifting the truck 2-3in before he built them)
-NGK +4 plugs
-air filter
-brush guard (huge one now and will probably end up with an ARB for winch later)
-running boards (which will probably be traded for custom rock rails)
-rear light guards (top and bottom)
-safety devices roofrack (HI for dual sunroofs)
-LR roof ladder
-Linex on all guards, fender flares, brush, and ladder (this is nice)

So the tires on my 18's are about shot and I am going to order a set of 5 16x7in black steelies from B-Atlantic (or somewhere?) soon and want to figure out what tires, springs, and shocks I should get. Also, if I go about 2-3in lift what else will I need to do (i.e. brake lines, steering, dampeners, Etc).

So I was thinking about a 3" OME lift using 751 springs in the front without a winch and 763 rear springs.

1. How much lift do you guys think this will yield given what I have on the truck currently?

2. What shocks would you guys recommend?

3. What tires should I rock? (I drive gravel, mud, fire roads, water crossings, Etc) I will still have the 18's to put on when I am going for a long slab drive.

4. I probably need to replace the steering damper right?

5. Will I need to do any other mods to the truck if i run these shocks?

6. Anything I am forgetting to ask here or I should do first to a truck that's at 100k?

Once I get this all done I am going to add 4 Hella's on the roof and a work lamp on the back.

When replying keep in mind I run a single member LLC and work very hard for the money I will dump into this truck. I am looking for quality and reliability but don't need the best in the world or to take cheap shortcuts.

I have been watching and learning from this forum for months now but haven't really chimed in until now as I usually find the answers I am looking for in the search.

Thanks for all your help-

Here is the Truck (before pics-lol)

If you don't mind a firm ride from the 763's, you will get a 3" lift without a winch.
Use the OME H.D. shocks
Depending on the tire size, if it were mine, I would go with the 16X8 wheels. Shop around, you will find better prices on wheels over AB. I run a 265/75/16 BFG MT.
Yes, replace the steering stabilizer.
I would replace the brake hose with stainless steel, nothing needs to be done with the ABS lines.
You need to inspect/ rebuild the front drive shaft if it hasn't been done before as well as getting a copy of my service list and do the entire list prior to playing hard with it.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Winching

OK - good stuff - Thanks Mike,

Just want to clarify a few things:
1. So if I run 763's and OME H.D. shocks I only need to replace the brake lines? And you think with my front brush guard I will still get 3in? I am asking because I was under the impression that more than 2in lift incurred a bunch more changes needed.

I have looked into it and YES I am going with 16x8 rims and the 265/75/16 BFG MT - GOOD CALL.

2. I have a Tom Woods driveshaft up front. I don't need to have that rebuilt right?

3. Where is the service list, I should certainly have a copy of this...

THANKS-

Old 06-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

1. So if I run 763's and OME H.D. shocks I only need to replace the brake lines? And you think with my front brush guard I will still get 3in? I am asking because I was under the impression that more than 2in lift incurred a bunch more changes needed.

I have looked into it and YES I am going with 16x8 rims and the 265/75/16 BFG MT - GOOD CALL.

2. I have a Tom Woods driveshaft up front. I don't need to have that rebuilt right?

THANKS-
You are fine with the Tom Woods, no need to rebuild.

The service list is a sticky at the beginning of this forum. (60k service)

So you used Linex on the fender flares? How did that work out?

Old 06-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANKS-
First. if you are getting OME shocks you do Not need longer brake lines. You can replace them with longer stainless brake lines if you like, but the OME shocks do not extend far enough to rip/brake the Stock brake lines.

Your brush guard does not weigh a whole lot, it really shouldn't effect the lift. 1/4" at the most.

If you get any combination of OME springs and shocks you do not need to worry about Anything else. No longer driveshafts, no off set radius arms, no longer brake/abs lines... ect.

Last edited by Jupiter Rover; 06-18-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Winching

humroot,

Linex is awesome stuff man, there is a guy in town that did his entire bed/box inside/out on a 79' Toyota pickup.

Jupiter Rover,

This is what I was hoping to hear - I like it...

You run 285/75 r16, what shocks and springs do you run?
Are you running 16x8 rims?
How much lift over stock do you have?

THANKS AGAIN AND AGAIN...

Old 06-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

humroot,

Linex is awesome stuff man, there is a guy in town that did his entire bed/box inside/out on a 79' Toyota pickup.

Jupiter Rover,

This is what I was hoping to hear - I like it...

You run 285/75 r16, what shocks and springs do you run?
Are you running 16x8 rims?
How much lift over stock do you have?

THANKS AGAIN AND AGAIN...
I have 779/762 OME springs and N107/N108 Shocks. 1.5" spring spacers and a 1.25" body lift.
However, with the spring spacers my shocks top out over speed bumps. Even worse on the trails. So I have to get longer shocks.

The OME shocks are perfect for any combination of OME spring. I just put on the 1.5" spacers and that was too much extra lift for the shocks.

I have 16x7 steel rims from AB. http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/3030A.cfm

Around 4" - 4.5" of lift give or take. That is with the body lift and spring spacers.