Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-freeze

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada ben
Which fiber gaskets on Rovers are seeing failures due to OAT coolants? Which Rover fiber gaskets are seeing premature failures for any reason at all?
You don't think eating a hole through a head gasket in 70 to 110k miles is premature?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DEXCOOL is great stuff. ..........

There is nothing wrong with mixing it with green (non-OAT) coolants but a mixed solution will only have the life span of the inferior coolant......

There is no reason to believe it will do any damage.......
Say whaaaa???? Is today opposite day?

Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Say whaaaa???? Is today opposite day?
It must be. Or we're getting trolled, and I'm just really slow on the uptake. Because when I read that post, this was my exact reaction:

Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Which fiber gaskets on Rovers are seeing failures due to OAT coolants? Which Rover fiber gaskets are seeing premature failures for any reason at all?
Head gaskets, throttle body heater gasket...

Dexcool Pictures

Dex-cool Contamination

Land Rover says to change your DII's engine coolant every 45,000 miles or 36 months, whichever is sooner.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow... this initial question drew some response! Those pictures look pretty bad. Just one more thing to worry about besides the oil pump/ sleeves/ ABS.........
I have not changed my coolant since ownership and I doubt the dealship did since we stopped going to a dealer a few years ago going to specialty shops. I assumed the coolant was fine since there were no leaks other than the t-body that was replaced a few months ago and the expansion tank showed red/orange coolant still. So I'm assuming to replace t-stat/ expansion tank cap and coolant and go to non-OAT? Again I am about to turn 50k miles in the next week. My 12 hour trip is next week.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just flush the cooling system and then use any aluminum safe coolant you want.
If you worry about every potential problem with your truck you will never enjoy it.
A 12 hour trip is nothing.
One Life, Live It!!

I'm going to be driving my 204k truck while pulling a trailer almost 800 miles this weekend and I'm not even thinking twice about it.

Last edited by Spike555; 06-23-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=Spike555;253722]Just flush the cooling system and then use any aluminum safe coolant you want.
If you worry about every potential problem with your truck you will never enjoy it.
A 12 hour trip is nothing.
One Life, Live It!!

here here....

get out and enjoy the beast... and it shall love you for it...

Old 06-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last week I completed a 2,400 mile round trip across the desert in my 134,000 mile 2001 DII that included plenty of off-highway excursions and mild wheeling along the way. I packed lots of tools, fluids and some spare parts but never touched any of them and had a great time.

My recently-rebuilt cooling system is filled with Dexcool but I plan to replace it before winter. From what I've read, as long as the coolant is maintained at the proper level and gets changed on a regular basis Dexcool isn't a problem, but I'm switching to the green stuff to be sure.

Have a great trip and don't sweat the distance!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KenR
Last week I completed a 2,400 mile round trip across the desert in my 134,000 mile 2001 DII that included plenty of off-highway excursions and mild wheeling along the way. I packed lots of tools, fluids and some spare parts but never touched any of them and had a great time.

My recently-rebuilt cooling system is filled with Dexcool but I plan to replace it before winter. From what I've read, as long as the coolant is maintained at the proper level and gets changed on a regular basis Dexcool isn't a problem, but I'm switching to the green stuff to be sure.

Have a great trip and don't sweat the distance!
127k, GM Dexcool changed on schedule, hoses refreshed at 100k and were old, but spotless. No leaks, runs like a top, never overheated. I have had no issues with it. That being said, Dexcool in a poorly maintained system is bad news.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Water Wetter

I just had the coolant replaced today along w/the t-stat and expansion cap. The shop insisted on staying w/the OAT and regularly change it out. So the question is can I add one bottle of Water Wetter? Is it compatible w/ Dexcool?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Anti-freeze