Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any folks using Genuine brake pads/rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:50 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I am going to recommend Akebono pads and EBC rotors. Work really well, and low brake dust.

The following 2 users liked this post by CollieRover:
JUKE179r (11-01-2016), TRIARII (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
I am going to recommend Akebono pads and EBC rotors. Work really well, and low brake dust.
^^This^^

Same setup on mine actually. I've always run "TerraFirma" rotors and found them to be pretty nice also.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (11-03-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I've got a set of the OEM brake pads, front and rear, that I installed this past April. Rear discs are DBA T3 slotted, and the fronts are the resurfaced plain rotors that were on the truck when I bought it two years ago (have DBAs for the front waiting for install, long story). I'm happy with the pads. They don't make noise, dusts a little bit, but have the performance you'd expect of an OEM pad. I see more drawbacks with aftermarket pads than pros. My truck is fairly stock and rarely loaded down, so OEM is fine in its current configuration.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (11-01-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 07:16 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Atlantic British EBC rotors front abd rear combined retail $451.90 + shipping. Not including any pads. Same rotors + Akebono euro pads retail $385.77 +shipping (dirt cheap or free with Prime) on Amazon. Thinking about biting the bullet and ordering but Im still not convinced of the brake rotors/pads combination and improved braking that I'm searching for. EBC pads suck *** and leave to much dust on my wheels, how could same company turn around and manufacture excellent rotors?

For Street Wolf: your probably one of the few others with alot of weight on your D2, comparable to my configuration. In your opinion do drilled/slotted rotors stop these heavily loaded vehicles well? Better than a performance solid rotor you think? Do they over heat easily like those cheap "performance" rotors?

Last edited by TRIARII; 11-03-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought some cheap ones from canada on ebay. I got all 4 rotors and breaks for 200 dollars. It was all I could afford at the time. And you know what. Way better than the bad rotors and breaks by a long shot. I'm sure they could be better but if they are all you can afford I say go for it. The previous owner left rotors and brakes in such bad condition that the driver side rear caliper cracked in half while my wife was driving it and the brakes went out almost completely. Thankfully she got it home in one piece and most importantly her and my daughter were safe and sound. Wish I could afford some super awesome brakes and rotors but at this point I need to put the money into fixing these oil leaks and this ticking sound.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:37 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Desormeaux
I bought some cheap ones from canada on ebay. I got all 4 rotors and breaks for 200 dollars. It was all I could afford at the time. And you know what. Way better than the bad rotors and breaks by a long shot. I'm sure they could be better but if they are all you can afford I say go for it. The previous owner left rotors and brakes in such bad condition that the driver side rear caliper cracked in half while my wife was driving it and the brakes went out almost completely. Thankfully she got it home in one piece and most importantly her and my daughter were safe and sound. Wish I could afford some super awesome brakes and rotors but at this point I need to put the money into fixing these oil leaks and this ticking sound.
Ive invested over $15,000 into my D2 since I bought her in late 2012... If money was the issue or primary concern I would have moved on long time ago. Today I firmly believe you get what you pay for. Ive tried those cheap complete brake rotor/pad rebuild kits on ebay - rotors prone to overheating easily. Bracking performance was not noticeable save the cheap retail for cool looking rotors. Im looking for absolute function and performance. Alot of weight on my D2 and road trip coming up. If I spot a moose or deer I want piece of mind rather than regreat after my cheap ebay rotors overheate and get me into an accident.

Im definitely going to give the Akebono pads a try. EBC sport rotors or solid high end rotors? Which will offer maximum stopping power with my vehicle configuration?

Old 11-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Atlantic British EBC rotors front abd rear combined retail $451.90 + shipping. Not including any pads. Same rotors + Akebono euro pads retail $385.77 +shipping (dirt cheap or free with Prime) on Amazon. Thinking about biting the bullet and ordering but Im still not convinced of the brake rotors/pads combination and improved braking that I'm searching for. EBC pads suck *** and leave to much dust on my wheels, how could same company turn around and manufacture excellent rotors?

For Street Wolf: your probably one of the few others with alot of weight on your D2, comparable to my configuration. In your opinion do drilled/slotted rotors stop these heavily loaded vehicles well? Better than a performance solid rotor you think? Do they over heat easily like those cheap "performance" rotors?
All I can speak to is my experience. I put in SS Brake Lines, EBC Rotors (not the most expensive ones), and Akebono Brake Pads. I didn't buy the most expensive rotors because I don't do extreme stuff, but the front rotors are slotted. The brakes are more confident now than they have ever been.

The DBA Golds may be better, but at the time I did a few other large projects and couldn't justify that cost.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

To preface this, I live in the Appalachian mountains. That means lots of curvy roads and I drive my Disco about the same as I drive my Mustang GT. ***** to the wall on back roads. I've also used my Disco for quite a bit of towing. I've had 7400 lbs behind her with no trailer brakes and already had 32" tires on the truck.

I have never had a stopping issue. I use the Terracirma drilled and slotted rotors and federo pads. Ill probably try the akebono pads when I need to replace these, but i really like this setup. I've only ever gotten them hot one time on a particularly spirited drive down a mountain with a load on the back. They were smoking by the bottom of the mountain and blue from the heat, but they didn't warp or crack.

I have had OEM, they came on my Disco when i got it. They're not nearly as good.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

The super cheap crap on Ebay is truly crap. I don't drive my LR's like a little old lady and the Power Stop stuff is really good. My H3 Alpha weighed a lot more and so does my LR3 vs a D2 and with the Power Stop rotors/ceramic pads I have never warped a rotor, or crashed due to crappy brake performance.

Heck my H3 with Power Stop stuff pulled 3 Land Rover Discoveries home and it stopped perfectly with no fade or spongy pedal at all.

Power Stop on my 06 LR3 = no more front wheels looking like a set of cheaply plastic dipped black wheels due to an insane amount of brake dust.

When I used to be in motorsports everyone bragged so much on EBC stuff, but it wore out extremely fast and sometimes with catastrophic failures (rotors) vs the OEM stuff. I ran a set of their Green Stuff pads on my 03 D2 back in the day and OMG the brake dust disgusting!!!! I also just had another set of EBC Greenstuff pads on an 02 I bought used earlier this year and they didn't do good at all with whatever rotors were on that D2 when I bought it!

I've done some very hard stops with the Power Stop stuff and so far 5 sets across multiple vehicle platforms with fantastic results.