Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Other Options for Roof Rack Flooring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:26 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by discomedic4
And as far as the rust issue you could get everything tacked up and then have everything powder coated and that should take care of the rust for awhile anyway.
Then it's no longer the cheaper option.

Spike, yes, the chicken coop flooring it thicker, but I've had it on my rack for around 5 years, I use my rack a lot and I can honestly say I've never thought to myself, "I wish this stuff wasn't so thick."
I always use at least two straps on everything (I like redundancy given the potential consequences of something coming off the rack on the highway) and have never had any issues whatsoever.
But before I installed it, I had the same concern about it being thicker.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I shopped around for the metal flooring yesterday and found some great deals. Then I talked to couple welding guys and thats where i'd be spending the money. Most wanted around $40-$50 bucks to do it. I dont have many things welded so I dont know if thats a fair price or not. The rusting is a concern though...

Also since thickness of the Farmtec was brought up I went out to measure the depth of my roof rack and I found that where the farmteck will sit is actually just under 1/2 inch where the bar sit below the edge of the rack. (IDK if that makes since, here's a pic)

Name:  03100342.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  104.4 KB

I'm leaning toward the Farmtec at the moment. The rust and cost of welding is making me shy away from the metal. I really appreciate all the input from everyone. I'll post pics whenever I get around to installing the stuff.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I too have been thinking about the welding for mine and I am considering zip ties, big black industrial ones and roll on bed liner for covering the expanded steel.

I hear what you are saying Tom, but I just really like the looks of the expanded steel as a floor on the SD rack as well as the price.
I can do the whole thing, bed liner, zip ties and flooring for the price of just the Farmtec flooring.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Baja

Well, aesthetics is an entirely personal decision. Some people like the looks of the farmtek, other hate it. Same with anything else. I was just trying to address technical concerns.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

And I appreciate that Tom.
Luckily here in MI we dont have to worry about rust. LOL!!

Old 07-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i got my sheet of aluminum diamond plate today. I'm going with a solid roof to act as sun barrier just like the safari roofs in the old Series Land Rovers. Its not new and there are some photos of it being done before. Also all the eco challenge disco has sold floors on the SD racks.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:18 AM
Baja

Yeah, I seriously thought about diamond plate (even as far as getting a CAD drawing of a layout from someone and getting an estimate from a metal shop for it) but went with the Farmtek because I'm a cheap SOB. Plus I liked the flexibility of being able to cut out places as needed to attach straps to the SD rack bars. I've had it on for 6 years and just last month needed to cut a couple webs out because of where I wanted to hook the straps. Took me 2 minutes.

I've found that the Farmtek provides a lot of shade, a little less when the sun is directly overhead.

Which reminds me, always hook your straps to the rack rails, not to the flooring.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

I have also been considering these options as well.
But I am alittle worried about the weight as they are heavy.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/...1-4-in-5040801

http://www.tractorsupply.com/royal-m....%20x%206%20ft.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/...0Horse%20Stall

Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Baja

And they aren't very rigid, if it's the stuff I'm thinking of.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Spike, I looked at that stuff too. I wouldn't mess with it because I bet it would flop around at highway speeds, even its it secured pretty well. Its solidish... but still rubbery enough to flop around.

Quick Reply: Any Other Options for Roof Rack Flooring?