Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any snow driving tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any snow driving tips?

I can't be the only one looking forward to the snowstorm predicted for the DC area tonight.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Stay home, truck in garage or covered parking. Let all the unfortunate who transferred from the frozen north "show" everyone their winter driving skills. If you must try it, do so in a large parking lot without poles or concrete barriers.

Guess the elected officials won't be able to do anything except keep warm by burning our money.....

Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

If you have proper snow tires, go wherever you want because you can. If you have all seasons/all terrains/mud terrains/ summers, stay home.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Rock Crawling

Speed, tailgate, ignore stop lights, pass snow plows, as much as possible because we all know the only reason they are there is to get in our way, try getting air off all the piles of snow as much as possible, make sure you take all blankets, extra water and food, any tow ropes and shovels out of your truck and just throw all that crap away, because you wont get stuck anywhere, no matter what happens. Only pussies take **** like that with them in hazardous conditions. If it gets really foggy, drive in the fast lane, very very slowly with your flashers on and no other lights. And don't stop for anything. If it looks like a huge 56 car pile up in front of you, just drive fast and go over them.

Remember, your a god when ever your driving you Land Rover. You can drive upside down and up vertical walls. Nothing can stop you, and I mean nothing. Snow doesnt exist in your world, and neither do car accidents. So make sure to follow the above advice and you should be golden.

Last edited by greenharoguy; 03-05-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
If you have proper snow tires, go wherever you want because you can. If you have all seasons/all terrains/mud terrains/ summers, stay home.
Now you tell me about snow tires

Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I run studded snow tires on both of my AWD/4WD vehicles. Safety first, sound last.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I live in minnesota.

I have all-terrains on my rover.

I laugh at snow.

In all honesty, if you just drive slower and give yourself more room to slow down, snow is no big deal. You have a 5000lb full-time 4x4. Unless you flip it, you should be able to get anywhere you need.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Accelerate slowly, turn slowly and use wide turning radii, be ready to countersteer quickly but below the turn length necessary for wet pavement to stop overcorrection, brake softly and early using engine braking, keep the car slow and in lower rpm and gearing to prevent dramatic power changes to the wheels, use light pedal pressure both on and off the gas, lock the xfer case if you can while off clear pavement, keep a big following distance, watch out for covered obstacles, potholes , curbs, hydrants, and downed tree limbs, watch for ice, especially "black ice" and shiney sections of pavement, assume the guy behind you can't stop, and that the guy comming up to the stopsign/light infront of you can't stop either... drive with that mentalitly and you'll be good to go as safely as possible.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWD is great...but it only helps you GO...stopping and turning 5000 lb vehicle is still going to take longer and be harder than a smaller car.

Control your speed with your throttle not your brake.
There was a top gear episode where they suggested removing brakes from peoples vehicles...it sounds stupid but if you really think about it...it actually makes a lot of sense.

Snow tires >all terrains. All terrain tires are just raised summer tires with wider grooves and a rubber compound that wont turn to plastic when it gets cold. You need snow specific/off road specific tread with low temp rated rubber.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
watch for ice, especially "black ice"
Especially on bridges. The airflow makes them colder.

Quick Reply: Any snow driving tips?