Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any special tools or more parts need to replace front engine cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 02:12 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any special tools or more parts need to replace front engine cover?

1) Heading out to the dealer now to pick up a front engine cover gasket, water pump gasket and oil pan gasket. Anything other parts? The parts guy mention the oil seal.

2) Also do I need any specialized tools to get the front cover back on? The Shop manual mentions some LR tool to lineup the drive gear keyway and Woodruff key.

3) Finally I know that some of the front cover bolts go through fluid passageways so I need to use sealant on the bolts. Do I just use black RTV?

Old 11-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

take good notes, I'm going to be doing this in a couple weeks myself. Down time sucks for me so I have a used cover that I'm readying to go on once I get the original one off.
so far I would say definitely yes to the frt seal, probably no to the special tool , it looks pretty simple. You may want to pick up a new o-ring for the oil pump releif valve as I'm sure you will want to take that all apart to clean it once your that far as well as check the pump for wear. The replacement gears are fairly cheap on several sites.
I have heard some say to replace the bolts as they can be quite corroded ? I dont know about the rtv, the gasket looks like it should do the job as is, do the bolt holes go directly into the waterpassages ? If you have the oil pump apart I'm told to repack it with petroleum jelly to allow it to prime after being apart & empty. good luck

Old 11-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
1) Heading out to the dealer now to pick up a front engine cover gasket, water pump gasket and oil pan gasket. Anything other parts? The parts guy mention the oil seal.

?Why would you get raped on this stuff from the dealership? AB, or Carquest would be WAY less, and just as good quality.

2) Also do I need any specialized tools to get the front cover back on? The Shop manual mentions some LR tool to lineup the drive gear keyway and Woodruff key.

I did not need any special tools for mine, but I did have to do it twice. Make sure that you mark the position of your oil pump drive gears once you get the front cover off. If you don't move the crank at any point after that, reassembly should be fairly easy. If you are replacing the oil seal, which is recommended BTW, you will need a drift to reinstall it. I discovered that a Shop Vac blower nozzle and a piece of wood worked pretty good for me.

3) Finally I know that some of the front cover bolts go through fluid passageways so I need to use sealant on the bolts. Do I just use black RTV?
I didn't use any RTV on these bolts. If you can, get bolts that are either stainless, or at the very least, zinc plated, and the proper torque on the front cover should take care of it. I haven't shown any leaks in that area since I did mine.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:32 PM
TReK

I'm not sure if any of the bolts actually go through passages but this is the first I read in the shop manual about putting sealer on the threads so I figured it was for a particular reason. I just got back from the dealer and ended up picking up the crankshaft seal.

Why I went to the dealer? I needed the parts today and since I live in NY I pay sales tax through AB so when you figure shipping into the equation I only over payed $5.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Ah, makes sense. As far as sealer on the threads, yes, that would be a good idea. I thought you were talking about the bolt head or something. I red loctited the hell out of mine, because when I started working on all this, the original bolts came right out. I could almost take them out without even using a socket. Oh, one more thing, go to Advance and get a Ford fan clutch tool. It was the perfect size for my '03's fan. You will probably be able to pop your fan right off with it so long as your serpentine is still intact.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:48 PM
TReK

I have a 36 mm wrench from Northern Tool that fits the clutch fan nut.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Lucky you. I looked all over for an actual wrench, but had to settle for the cheapo Ford fan clutch set. Luckily, it worked.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:31 PM
TReK

Yeah I posted a while back about this wrench. I think it was like $12 which is a great deal for a big tool like this. It is just thin enough to fit but it fits and is long for good leverage.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:36 PM
TReK

I called up the land over dealer and spoke with the parts guy about the thread sealer. He said they use permatex thread sealer on the front cover bolts. Here is the stuff:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...d_sealants.htm

Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 PM
TReK

Just an update...

I only got a half a day in and I got the viscous fan (boy that was fun until I figured it out) and the oil pan removed. The only snafu was that I sheared off one of my front crossmember bolts. They were pretty rusted on there. I need to drill it out but no big deal.

I found a really good way of removing the water pump using a 36mm wrench, vise grips and a cheap homemade spanner (made from a metal bracket and bolt the I cut short). I can post it if anyone is interested.

Tomorrow hopefully I can get the front cover off and everything back together.

Quick Reply: Any special tools or more parts need to replace front engine cover?