Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suggestions? Im stuck down a hill

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013 | 07:07 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Any suggestions? Im stuck down a hill

So, I thought would test out the landrover on the recent snow today and ended up getting stuck. The problem is its a very wet snow on top of saturated muddy ground. I have slid off of a off-camber farm path into the unmown weeds and its about 200 yards to flat level ground. I realized i had a problem but, kept trying to spin my way out so I ended up about 100 yards past were I should have stopped. If I slide down anymore Im about 20 ft from being in a thicket of trees at the top of a shallow ravine so backing up is not an option forward and out is the only way. I have tried pulling it out with my toyota truck but, it became stuck right away as well Any thoughts on how to extricate this? Right know Im going to go back out in a couple hours to see if the ground has frozen but, its only getting down to 24deg so Im not sure thats going to do it. If I could get the truck closer I could use a come along crank to winch it forward. Once I get back on the farm path its 100yds along a off camber path before climbing up another 100yards, total elevation gain of about 100ft before Im on level ground. Ill try to find a better picture showing the spot.
Name:  image_zps11c9c788.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  image_zps4fdd0609.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  107.4 KB

Old 02-02-2013 | 07:17 PM
Rock Crawling

It may be to late where your at but I would go to Lowes or home depot and buy 2 long pieces of metal crating that is used to cover drains. Or even find some large flat rocks from a nearby creek to put down so your tires have something to grip and inch that beast out of there

Old 02-02-2013 | 07:22 PM
Winching

gotta ask, have you shifted transfer case into low. worse case scenario. well one of them is to leave it over night hope for a decent freeze, and at 24 you should get it. then drive it slowly out. you really should not have an issue getting out of their. DO NOT FLOOR IT, modulate, or feather the throttle. Good Luck.

Old 02-02-2013 | 07:32 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the replys, I have tried low range and about every variation of throttle. The TC is doing a great job of shifting power around as there is pretty much 3 wheels spinning at any given time is just so muddy under the snow. The pictures never really show how steep it is. The lowes idea is a good one but, they would be closed as they are 30 minutes from here. I do have some 16' hog panels with 4 inch spacing that might make a great sand ladder. I give the ground till about 10 et to harden a bit. Here is a shot from about 3/4 of the way down Im stuck next to the tree line to the left of my kid and dog. It really is much steeper in real life.
Name:  DSCF6774_zps74515b55.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  117.4 KB

Old 02-02-2013 | 07:40 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle

The very lowest point in this picture staight ahead is about where my truck is now stuck the land rover is in the same valley but, way to the right.
Name:  DSCF6766_zpsc039bf06.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  120.0 KB

Old 02-02-2013 | 07:44 PM
Rock Crawling

I would let it freeze and use your panels as sand ladders. Where are you located at, I'm in wv and it looks like conditions outside are about the same as where your at, and its pretty nasty.

Old 02-02-2013 | 07:45 PM
Winching

tire chains.. or the hog panels. or wait until morning.. with frozen ground. Good luck

Old 02-02-2013 | 08:46 PM
Camel Trophy

I will NOT make a CDL joke as I feel for you, this has happened to me. I would personally deflate as MUCH as possible, potentially down to 10-15 PSI, clear your treads with something, get the panels down and attempt to recover. As soon as you get traction try to maintain as much momentum as possible. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2013 | 08:59 PM
TReK

You could get steel cable - maybe 300' of it.

Put that steel cable onto truck which has good footing on a road or such and go to low range.

Maybe tho - easiest to wait for freezing.

Old 02-02-2013 | 09:01 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 94svt50
The very lowest point in this picture staight ahead is about where my truck is now stuck the land rover is in the same valley but, way to the right.
Unfortunately I have been in a similar situation with the same tires you have now....it was actually the reason I used to justify buying the dynapro MTs . I used sticks, lots of them to shove under the tires and create a base to get the vehicle moving forward. Rocks will work too and the hog panels may as well. If the Toyota is stuck too and you have the hand crank, a chain or strap that will reach, and someone to help, you could use the hand crank to winch off the Toyota. If you don't have anything to winch from at that point, whatever you can use as a traction ladder will be your best bet out. Barring someone passing by in a tractor...

Quick Reply: Any suggestions? Im stuck down a hill