Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else disappointed with current head unit upgrades available for stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 07:11 AM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
factory amp still feeds the rear door speakers which still sound like crap. Still have to troubleshoot that. No highs in them at all. I'm perfectly capable of figuring out why but just haven't done it yet.
The rear door speakers are subwoofers only. So... no highs.

The following users liked this post:
Dave03S (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
I decided to go the extreme route. I wanted BT, SiriusXM, HDRadio, CarPlay, DVD, AppRadio, multi-usb inputs, HDMI input, Aux input, A/V input, SDCard and Navigation, rear view camera input along with audio/video output.
Cut-up the center fascia and installed Pioneer AVH4000NEX double-din head unit, utilized the factory amp(hi-line factory system) to power the speakers and added mono-bloc amp for 10" sub(low profile). Went ahead and added the head rest monitors. Since the Hi-line system has rear headphone amp/jack, and the pioneer has dual-zone sound(works with the audio/video output), I connected the headphone jack to the second zone. Kids can watch a movie and hear the audio thru the headphones while I play my music, although I usually only listen to my music when they are not in the vehicle.
The system is connected to a 480gb solid state drive via usb hidden in glove compartment which holds around 400 ripped DVD movies. The second usb input is ran to iPhone 6 for Apple CarPlay or playing audio from iTunes Match, Pandora.
HDMI is wired to apple digital a/v adapter to play video from iPhone, like youtube or movies purchased thru iTunes, Disney or UltraViolet.
SDCard is 256gb and also contains around 100 more movies and about 100 gb of FLAC format music(for when signal is weak on iPhone)
I also have Pioneer AVIC-U260 navigation module hooked up, but normally only use the iPhone navigation. I added a rear view camera and on the A/V input I added a digital TV Tuner(only works when car is parked, signal is lost when moving)
I love to push the boundaries, haven't figured where to put the kitchen sink.

Attachment 30241

Attachment 30242

Attachment 30243
That's an awesome setup. Probably the only thing I'd consider away from stock. Did you have to cut into the cup holder area below the heater controls?

Old 06-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
That's an awesome setup. Probably the only thing I'd consider away from stock. Did you have to cut into the cup holder area below the heater controls?
I cut out the cup holder part, so I could lower the a/c controls. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. We just did my son's 04, to install an Alpine double-din DVD player. Previous owner had installed a single din Alpine and cracked the fascia between the head unit and the a/c controls and you could see behind there and it looked crappy and the head unit would rattle and slide out on 1 side. His does not have all the features, but it does have BT, 1 USB port, aux a/v input. It also has built in navigation and we are adding rear view camera. His was base unit, with no sub in rear hatch, so added amp and sub. 100% improvement. PO had already replaced speakers with some nice Alpines.
Really brings the antiquated system up to date.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Pro Wrench

That makes sense. Darn, I have the cup holder space occupied for my soon to be oil/water temp/pressure gauges. I thought about the single DIN flip-out screen once... then saw one in person... no way - super tacky.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yea, your gauges are going to look awesome. I would love to have those gauges, but no room now. I subscribed to your gauge post and we talked about them. I am trying to decide where to put the double gauge, by same company. Thinking about removing coin drawer and installing there.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:05 PM
Pro Wrench

good idea. The double Auber gauge should fit nicely there with a little dremeling. Hoping to finish up my auber gauges this week. There's always another thing to do -- or redo -- and was sidetracked with new battery terminals and adding a fuse panel.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was out today in pretty bright sun and could in no way see the screen on my new kenwood with all the glare. A micro car pc type setup like joemamma has is on my future to do list. Probably with my old note 2 as the head unit and a nice big hard drive

Old 06-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Manbeer
Was out today in pretty bright sun and could in no way see the screen on my new kenwood with all the glare. A micro car pc type setup like joemamma has is on my future to do list. Probably with my old note 2 as the head unit and a nice big hard drive
Think about a solid state drive, the standard drive will work, but can't take vibration and bouncing as much. Some guys even use s 1TB drive and store their whole audio and video library on them. Just some thoughts. I have a mini-pc that I have played with hooked up to the HDMI, but have to have keyboard an mouse. If it worked with touchscreen, it would have been mounted already.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:39 PM
TReK
Received 767 Likes on 635 Posts

Any Windows or Linux PC should work with a touchscreen with the proper drivers. Finding a mountable touchscreen in the size you want would be the biggest hurdle.

1TB wouldn't even begin to touch my audio collection, let alone video. When you start getting even half that size the system becomes a road hazard if the driver is trying to operate it.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
Do you use the phone? How is it?
I bought it because of 3 features. 1 Pandora mode(i can control pandora on the head unit as apposed to just audio via Bluetooth), 2 Phone over Bluetooth (head unit came with a corded mic you can put where u want) 3 dedicated subwoofer rca output ( i run two 10" kicker cvr's in shallow box's drivers pointed out)

Last edited by Daedrix; 06-16-2016 at 01:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else disappointed with current head unit upgrades available for stereo?