Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else disappointed with current head unit upgrades available for stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:43 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone else disappointed with current head unit upgrades available for stereo?

Just got a crappy kenwood as I wanted to be able to stream music through Bluetooth. When I browsed current units, I'm amazed how all the classy looking stuff like the old Alpines, eclipses and pioneer dex-p1r have all been replaced by things that look like toys. Not only that but too many buttons! And tiny buttons at that. Combined with the stupid dash kit and sleeve keeping it buried a couple inches deep in the hole, it's quite aggravating.

I think I'm going to do one of two things, either fab up some dash kits that bring the radio out to the front where it should be, in case anyone else hates the other setups as much as I do, or make something around a larger phone or tablet to use as a head unit. I've done hundreds of them for people over the years and this one should be pretty easy to do

Thoughts?

Old 06-13-2016, 12:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

I agree. I don't like the look of any aftermarket stereo's either. I opted to keep my head unit and add a GROM to it (fits in behind the head unit, invisible): gromaudio.com. It gives bluetooth, aux, usb, bluetooth hands free mic (addon), hd radio (addon). Maybe I'll upgrade the speakers/amp later

Old 06-13-2016, 05:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Yea, its hard to find a good looking stereo. Has been for the past few years. I'll be damned if some of them don't sound good, though.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Delphi makes a single din radio that looks oem:
Name:  xNSAB.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  42.4 KB

http://www.bigrigworld.com/integrate...uner-2286.html

I like what Porsche is doing for it's vintage parts catalog:

It would be very cool if LR started making OEM parts for older vehicles again like Porsche & BMW are doing.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:13 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast

It would be very cool if LR started making OEM parts for older vehicles again like Porsche & BMW are doing.
Is that a Nav screen? that is a wreck waiting to happen for me (squint).
I agree about the looks of current offerings. Funny I was just looking on Crutchfield to see what Alpine had that would fit.
I like the idea of Bluetooth streaming a lot.
Question, I thought the HK was the only one with two speakers in the front door and the tweeter in the A pillar? I have the three speakers but the one door one does not say Harmon Kardon on it.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling

yes, it is a map. i believe the audible instructions are better than the screen but it is a nice feature to retrofit either way.

jensen makes another oem style option:

Jensen Heavy Duty - Shop Premium Audio & Video Electronics For Commercial Use

Old 06-13-2016, 12:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I was just all excited for that Delphi unit. Instantly thought of how long it was going to take me to swap....until I saw the price...400 bucks??!? Never. You can buy head units w way more features for half that. Looks be damned

Old 06-13-2016, 12:55 PM
Rock Crawling

the lowest i have seen the becker unit advertised (new) is $290. i have never seen a used one for sale.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

How close can you match the green color on the Kenwood?

Old 06-13-2016, 01:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

If the grom lets you call, play music, and do voice navigation through the phone, why would you consider an aftermarket head unit?

Quick Reply: Anyone else disappointed with current head unit upgrades available for stereo?